Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space (report builder 6i,10g oracle DB)
Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429511] Wed, 04 November 2009 05:11 Go to next message
seyed456

Hello all,

Am facing a problem in the report what am trying to make.

select deptno,d.job,sum(sal1),sum(sal2)
from emp,dept d
where emp.deptno=d.deptno
group by deptno,job

From this above code am making a matrix report in that am adding
deptno matrix row field
job matrix column field
sum(sal1) and sum(sal2) in matrix cell fields..

i want only the jobs Accounting and Sales to be shown in my report.
But in the next column of the report i need to show total job sum(sal1) ie., accounting sum(sal1)+engineering sum(sal1)+sales sum(sal1).etc..,..

If am giving some condition in the above query i may not get the other job sum(sal1)..

select deptno,d.job,sum(sal1),sum(sal2)
from emp,dept d
where emp.deptno=d.deptno
and d.job in ('Accounting','Sales');
group by deptno,job

while if am not fetching the data's for other jobs .,i will not get the datas for ma report total job sum(sal1)...

since one of my friend told me to go for formatting trigger in the reports page,..

"can have a format trigger to show/hide on that field
if .... then return true; else return flase; end if;
you can have an if condition in the format trigger
but there would a blank space.. between accounting and sales..."

Despite i dont want the blank space between..

Please help me ..Thanks in advance..

[Updated on: Wed, 04 November 2009 05:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429573 is a reply to message #429511] Wed, 04 November 2009 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deahayes3

Have to you tried setting the field return(true) to return(false) in some kind of condition
Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429630 is a reply to message #429573] Wed, 04 November 2009 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seyed456

i did but there some blank space between..i dont want that..
Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429633 is a reply to message #429630] Wed, 04 November 2009 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deahayes3

You might want to try and play around with that item's vertical and/or horizontal elasticity in the property palette.Try setting it to contract or variable.
Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429663 is a reply to message #429633] Thu, 05 November 2009 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seyed456

u mean in property pallete..Can u tell me in details ?..
Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429723 is a reply to message #429663] Thu, 05 November 2009 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deahayes3

Yes, the property palette of the field that your trying to remove blank space, scroll down to general layout and you will see vertical elasticity, check out its drop down list, here are the details of that property. I have used it before to remove blank space as well.

The Vertical Elasticity property is how the vertical size of the object may change at runtime to accommodate the objects or data within it:

For frames and repeating frames, elasticity defines whether the size of the frame or repeating frame should vary with the objects inside of it.

For objects containing text, elasticity defines whether the field or boilerplate should vary with the size of the text. Fixed size text will wrap within the defined size of the object and may be truncated if there is not enough room. Number or date data will appear as asterisks if the data cannot fit within the defined size.

For images, drawings, and chart objects, Report Builder uses proportional scaling. The elasticity options for images, drawings, and chart objects determine the scaling factor.

Values

Contract Means the vertical size of the object decreases, if the formatted objects or data within it are short enough, but it cannot increase to a height greater than that shown in the Report Editor. Truncation of data may occur; look at the examples. (You can think of this option as meaning "only contract, do not expand.")

Expand Means the vertical size of the object increases, if the formatted objects or data within it are tall enough, but it cannot decrease to a height less than that shown in the Report Editor. (You can think of this option as meaning "only expand, do not contract.")

Fixed Means the height of the object is the same on each logical page, regardless of the size of the objects or data within it. Truncation of data may occur; look at the examples. The height of the object is defined to be its height in the .

Variable Means the object may expand or contract vertically to accommodate the objects or data within it (with no extra space), which means the height shown in the Report Editor has no effect on the object's height at runtime.
Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429744 is a reply to message #429723] Thu, 05 November 2009 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seyed456

Thanks for that when i changed to variable it was not showing ..and there were no blank space between fields..
I need some more helps that..

Is that a only way to hide column in property pallete, format trigger by changing return(false) ?..

Do we have any other way to accomplish this task in runtime ..?

Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429914 is a reply to message #429744] Fri, 06 November 2009 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
seyed456 wrote on Thu, 05 November 2009 10:51
Thanks for that when i changed to variable it was not showing ..and there were no blank space between fields..
I need some more helps that..

Is that a only way to hide column in property pallete, format trigger by changing return(false) ?..

Do we have any other way to accomplish this task in runtime ..?

In report builder both are available(coding and using tools).

If you dont want to write the code then right click on the field and select conditional formating and hide the object.

But writing format trigger code is more useful.

Sriram.
Re: Hide some columns in report Builder without blank space [message #429924 is a reply to message #429914] Fri, 06 November 2009 05:42 Go to previous message
seyed456

Thanks for your response Ram..

Am facing another problem with this variable and contract.
When i use variable in horizontal elasticity ,there were no blank space when i made return(false) in formatting trigger.

But when i came back to make that return(true) ,i dint get the adjust columns to be aligned properly..is there anything to do with adjust columns..

Please support me to get this done.

Thanks again
Seyed mohamed.
Previous Topic: Print Object On "Last Page", Base Printing On "Anchoring Object"
Next Topic: please need help with calculations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:18:28 CDT 2024