Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » How to separate report layout sections in one report
How to separate report layout sections in one report [message #397422] Fri, 10 April 2009 10:21 Go to next message
jdavis850
I currently have a report setup to display in PDF and Spreadsheet/Excel formats. I noticed when the report is displayed in Excel format the order of the columns get rearranged.

I noticed when I go to the property inspector of a frame and set the Vertical Elasticity to 'Fixed', the excel format displays properly, but in PDF some of the data gets cut-off. And when I set the Vertical Elasticity to 'Expand' the data is displayed appropriately in PDF format, misplaced in excel format.

Is it possible to set the Vertical Elasticity in a format trigger? Is there a command line keyword for this feature?

I want to accomplish something similar to this:
If upper(:DESFORMAT) = 'SPREADSHEET' then
Vertical Elasticity = "Fixed";

else if upper(:DESFORMAT) = 'PDF';
Vertical Elasticity = "Expand";

else if upper(:DESFORMAT) = 'RTF';
Vertical Elasticity = "Expand";
end;

Thanks.

[MERGED by LF]

[Updated on: Sat, 11 April 2009 09:48] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need to set Vertical Elasticity in Format Trigger [message #397445 is a reply to message #397422] Fri, 10 April 2009 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If it is possible, I - unfortunately - do not know how to do that.

However: did you try to set elasticity to "Variable"? Perhaps it'll fit both PDF and SPREADSHEET ...

If not, perhaps you might create two reports (just copy existing one into another report), one for each output format. I don't know how your run this report - i.e. do you use some kind of a "parameter form" created by Forms and call the report from a form; if so, simple radio button choice might simplify this task. Otherwise, you'll have to figure something out.
Re: Need to set Vertical Elasticity in Format Trigger [message #397460 is a reply to message #397445] Fri, 10 April 2009 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdavis850
Thanks for the comment. It seems like what I'm trying to accomplish isn't possible. I believe your proposed approach may be the best means to accomplish my task.

I'm utilizing Reports Builder 10g to create reports. What is the best way return a report in a certain format. For instance:

If output format is spreadsheet display ReportA, If output format is PDF display ReportB?

Thanks
Re: Need to set Vertical Elasticity in Format Trigger [message #397476 is a reply to message #397460] Sat, 11 April 2009 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
"The best way" depends on the way you are calling the report; as I've said, if it is through a form, it might look like this:

/forum/fa/6016/0/

"Run report" push button's pseudocode would then be
if radio_button_value = 'PDF' then
   run report ('rep_pdf')
elsif radio_button_value = 'SPREADSHEET' then
   run report ('rep_spreadsheet')
end if
  • Attachment: pdf_x.PNG
    (Size: 1.84KB, Downloaded 1357 times)
how to separate report layout sections in one report [message #397478 is a reply to message #397422] Sat, 11 April 2009 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdavis850
All,

I'm trying to determine how to separate report layout sections in one report using Report Builder 10g. My requirement is to provide a user the ability to display a report in PDF, excel, RTF formats. How can I assign LayoutA to 'PDF' and 'RTF', LayoutB to 'Spreadsheet'?

I've attempted to utilize the Header and Main sections in the paper layout, which contain unique layouts of the same report, but during generation, both sections are being displayed.

Thanks
Re: Need to set Vertical Elasticity in Format Trigger [message #397479 is a reply to message #397476] Sat, 11 April 2009 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdavis850
Thanks for the comment. I'm currently using Reports Builder 10g. Are you familar with how that can be handled in Reports Builder?
Re: Need to set Vertical Elasticity in Format Trigger [message #397498 is a reply to message #397479] Sat, 11 April 2009 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
In Reports builder only? Hm, I've got an idea - perhaps you'll like it as it doesn't require almost any effort: go to the Paper Layout editor, select all you have, copy it and paste below existing objects (so that you'll have two exactly same layouts). All you have to do is to change vertical elasticity in one of these layouts.

Then create Format Trigger for both outmost frames which will display (or not) these objects, depending on parameter value; something like this:
-- upper frame trigger - it is set to PDF
return (:par_output = 'PDF');

-- lower frame trigger - it is set to SPREADSHEET
return (:par_output = 'SPREADSHEET');

That should do it, I guess ...
Re: How to separate report layout sections in one report [message #397526 is a reply to message #397422] Sat, 11 April 2009 20:53 Go to previous message
jdavis850
Thanks for all you help. I created two format triggers from each format, as you advised, and it resolved my issue.

Thanks!
Previous Topic: Searching reports
Next Topic: How To Change File Name In The "File Download" Dialog Box For Web Reports?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:09:16 CDT 2024