Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Barcode (Oracle 8i and Developer 6)
Barcode [message #386056] Thu, 12 February 2009 06:47 Go to next message
mkhalil
Dear Fellow,

I have no knowledge about Barcode. I have search the forum but my problem persist at its own place.

The problem is an issue of Loyalty Cards of a Hotel and Restaurant to various customers and then these cards will be presented by the customers time to time in the Hotel as well as Restaurant. The Owner of the Hotel and Restaurant wants to generate separate barcode for each card and when this card will be presented then the bar code reader will readout the code and the system will calculate the amount of discount/rebate. Because if the data entry operator enter the code of the card through key board the it will be a chance of leakage or misuse of that card.

So what should I do for that. Would any gentelman help me in this regard for providing step wise guidance or any link for tutorial or any written material for that.

Thanks for giving your precious time to read and write.

Muhammad Khalil
Re: Barcode [message #386089 is a reply to message #386056] Thu, 12 February 2009 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Basically, you'll need to create a card with pre-printed barcode (I guess this will be a plastic card, something like American Express, Diners, Visa etc.); barcode might represent room number or another number that will uniquely identify a customer. I don't think that you should create a new card for every new customer because - what will you do with "old" cards? Throw them away? I don't think so!

There are plastic card printers on the market (we use one of these for creating cards for our employees; will check exact model name if you are interested).

Barcode is printed with help of one of barcode fonts (we use IDAutomation.com fonts), from printer vendor's software (i.e. no Report Builder is involved).

Then, you'll obviously need a barcode scanner; as there are many of them available on the market, choose one that best suits your needs. As it emulates a keyboard, there's nothing much you have to do in the (Forms) application - simply read the barcode, and it will appear in a form item.
Re: Barcode [message #386155 is a reply to message #386089] Thu, 12 February 2009 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
Thanks a lot Littlefoot.

Would you please give me the name, manufacturer and model of the plastic card printer.

Which one IDautomation.com fonts will be best suited for this case.

How we create barcode through application before printing on plastic card printer. Weather barcode unique numbers will be created by an other application from IDautomation.com or we will write a code in our application already developed for that Hotel.
Re: Barcode [message #386195 is a reply to message #386155] Fri, 13 February 2009 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Printer manufacturer is Evolis, model Pebble 3 (double side colour printer). Along with the printer we got software which creates and prints cards.

Font we have used is free IDAutomation.com 39. It was OK for us as we have printed numbers only. I don't know which one would be best for you.
Re: Barcode [message #386443 is a reply to message #386195] Sun, 15 February 2009 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
Thanks for reply. I went to the site and found that the cost of printer is a higher side specially for a Hotel Owner and I think he could not efford this. Then what will be the second option.

In my view, the second option may be that we generate barcode through Report Builder then that barcodes should be provided to the printing press for printing the card. I mean the card should be purchased from the printing press owner. Then we should enter all those cards which have been sold to customers through barcode reader into the database by using a form in the application. At the end when these cards will be presented for discount or rebate purpose then again that specific card will be entered through barcode reader and after varification of of the code with the code already been entered at the time of sale the specified amount of discount/rebate will be put into a tax item.

Is it possible if yes then how the barcode will be generated through Report Builder and how these will be entered at the time of sale and at the time of discount through barcode reader. I have barcode fonts which was downloaded frelly from a website in the past but not tried so far.

Muhammad Khalil
Re: Barcode [message #386453 is a reply to message #386443] Sun, 15 February 2009 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I have already answered how to print barcodes in Reports Builder; search the board.
Re: Barcode [message #456370 is a reply to message #386056] Mon, 17 May 2010 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
villafan
Hi Muhammad,

I found a good piece of info about making and printing barcode labels posted on a blog on a website. I found it to be very helpful and a very interesting read, you should take a look. Will post a link at end of this post in case you want to take a look, hope this helps

Regards

Tim
Re: Barcode [message #456405 is a reply to message #456370] Mon, 17 May 2010 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
villafan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2010 19:16
Hi Muhammad,

I found a good piece of info about making and printing barcode labels posted on a blog on a website. I found it to be very helpful and a very interesting read, you should take a look. Will post a link at end of this post in case you want to take a look, hope this helps

Regards

Tim

Link?whre it is?

sriram Smile
Re: Barcode [message #456789 is a reply to message #456405] Wed, 19 May 2010 08:50 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Wait a minute it does not reach the magical 5 posts to post his spam...

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Reports Consuming CPU
Next Topic: Page wise Total
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:58:26 CDT 2024