Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » LONG datatype Oracle8.0.5
LONG datatype Oracle8.0.5 [message #37751] Tue, 26 February 2002 12:01 Go to next message
Toyn
Hi,
I have a column that's LONG datatype. I am unable to move any of this data into another table because it is LONG. Is there any way I can move the data from one LONG datatype column to another? Each row contains about a page of text, is there another datatype that I could use to store this text? Will this datatype be easily transferable from one table to another? Thanks.
Re: LONG datatype Oracle8.0.5 [message #37753 is a reply to message #37751] Tue, 26 February 2002 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd Barry
Tony, here is some info on copying longs from one table to another. Since you are on 8.0.5, there isn't another datatype to use (like CLOB in 8i).

http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/Misc/MoveLongs.html
Re: LONG datatype Oracle8.0.5 [message #38055 is a reply to message #37751] Fri, 15 March 2002 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyn
How would you handle the below error?

CPY0007: Select list has fewer columns than destination table

The query runs correctly with both columns from the select list and the destination table included in the query. The above error comes up when I only include one column from the select list and the destination table. The purpose of this testing is to see if I can move a long datatype from one table with X number of columns, to another table with Y number of columns. How can I work around this issue? Thanks.

Incidentially, the link left out a portion of the command:
copy from username/password@linkname to username/password@linkname -
insert tablename (columnname) -
using select columnname from tablename -
where columnname = x;
Re: LONG datatype Oracle8.0.5 [message #39051 is a reply to message #37751] Mon, 10 June 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Susan
CPY0007: Select list has fewer columns than destination table

I'm having the same problem (Oracle 8.1.7); I've supplied a list of columns (they even have the same name in TO/FROM) that does not include all the fields in the TO table (since they do not exist in the FROM table)...did you ever get any resolution? I'm also migrating a long variable, so can't just use insert...thx
Re: LONG datatype Oracle8.0.5 [message #39067 is a reply to message #37751] Tue, 11 June 2002 11:00 Go to previous message
Toyn
Unfortunatly I was not able to come up with a solution. A workaround I considered was using the copy command to create a table with 2 columns. One with the long data, and the other with a unique identifier. Another idea was to re-insert the data into a varchar2(4000) field, but this does not satisfy the absoluteness of the data.
Previous Topic: Re: define view column as a PL/SQL functon
Next Topic: Constraint tablespace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 14:33:56 CDT 2024