Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » urgent!!!Problems of JSP Envionment on Oracle.
urgent!!!Problems of JSP Envionment on Oracle. [message #367389] Thu, 19 October 2000 04:25 Go to next message
hunter

My objective is building a website by writing JSP.
But now I am confused at the following:

1.How can I choose software envionment? can I just install oracle 8i enterprise edition?(My operrationg system is linux.)what is the difference between oas & ias?Must I install it to make sure my JSP can be OK?

2.Do ias or oas include the functions of Oracle 8i EE

3.what is the sequence of installing ias,oracle 8i EE,& web server?

4.Jdeveloper can run jsp without web server?and how?

I need your help.Thanks
Re: urgent!!!Problems of JSP Envionment on Oracle. [message #367390 is a reply to message #367389] Thu, 19 October 2000 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Logan Wood
You've gou lots of questions there!!!

1. You can install Oracle8i EE on Linux (I suggest you start with Release 2 (version 8.1.6). This should be your first step.

OAS and iAS are two different Oracle products that achieve much the same thing - they are application servers that allow you to deploy database applications on the web. However, OAS, whilst still supported by Oracle, is to be replaced entirely with iAS. iAS uses Apache as it's web server, but otherwise provides all of the key services supported by OAS - including JSP, PL/SQL, Forms etc.

You MUST install one of these products as a middle-tier in order to use JSP (I assume you mean Java Server Pages, NOT Java Stored Procedures, which is something different entirely!!). Both products support Java Servlets and JSP.

2. iAS and OAS are application servers - they do not include any of the functionality of Oracle8i EE, which is purely an RDBMS. You need Oracle8i with either OAS or iAS to deploy database-driven web applications. You can run Oracle8i on Linux, NT or various Unix flavours with OAS or iAS on the same server, or a separate middle-tier server.

3. Always install the RDBMS first. Then install your chosen application server (either iAS or OAS). Both products include a web server, which is installed and configured with the application server.

4. I think JDeveloper is emulating the functionality of a web server, effectively allowinh you to develop web applications off-line.
Thank you very much but this time maybe even more.Help! [message #367391 is a reply to message #367390] Thu, 19 October 2000 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hunter

Thank you very much.
I will try to install following the sequence of:Redhat Linux 6.2+Oracle 8i EE+iAS.
But there R still some problems:
1.when I install Redhat Linux 6.2 the apache modul is chosen.So the web server is installed.when I install IAS later,the IAS will config which web server?which one will take effect?
I have met some problems before,even I uninstall the first apache server.the second still cannot work.why?

2.after the envionment is set on my server(linux),which is the best way to develop the Java Server Pages?Since I have the real web server set,I do not need JDeveloper to emulate the web server.but when i met with the problem of choosing which one to develop the application,such as access the DB through JDBC,I am confused at serverlet & EJB.What is the difference in using them.If I want to encapulat the application, which one is better?

3.In developing the application I will do (JSP)coding in the client side then ftp to the server.To make sure the JSP work as it should be.I must code the serverlet or EJB.Must I telnet to the server and compile it?Must I?then how can I compile it?Can you introduce some coding manual to me on the coding method(about serverlet or EJB,the best way to encapsulate the component)

4.How can I set the java classpath
can I set as following:
JAVA_HOME=/ora01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6/JRE
EXPORT JAVA_HOME

5.the last question:about the version.
the IAS software requirment is Redhat 6.0,jdk 1.1.8,glibc 2.1.1,kernel 2.2.14
the Oracle 8i EE(8.1.6)is not required why?
now my operating system is Redhat 6.2,and the kernel & glibc version may be different.Can they work together?

Thak You a lot.
Re: Thank you very much but this time maybe even more.Help! [message #367393 is a reply to message #367391] Fri, 20 October 2000 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Logan Wood
Hunter,

Not sure I can answer all these questions - my experience of developing JSP is limited - I've used 8i/iAS with the PL/SQL Cartridge, but I'll try...

1. I see no reason why you cannot have both your Red Hat and iAS Apache installations on the same server. The Oracle Installer places the Apache binaries in its own directory structure. Provided you are not trying to run both versions at the same time, there shouldn't be a problem. However, removing the Red Hat-installed version would be a better option. What sort of errors are you getting?

2. EJB are purely business components - you cannot generate HTML or any other UI using them. For example, you might use an EJB to execute a business function, such as placing an order. JSPs allow you to develop Java applications that generate HTML dynamically, using the Web Server to return it to the browser. You can use the two together, or you can put you can use Java Servlets with other components such as Java Stored Procedures or PL/SQL Stored Procedures, which can encapsulate your business logic. By the way Java Servlets and Java Server Pages (JSPs) work slightly differently. Servlets are a bit require that each line of HTML is generated by the servlet dynamically. JSPs allow you to embed Java code into an HTML page. Its a bit like comparing Perl to PHP. Servlets are probably more flexible, but JSPs are probably easier to develop.

One thing to note is that iAS uses the Oracle8i Java VM inside the RDBMS to store and execute EJBs and Java Stored Procedures. So when developing EJBs, you are actually uploading them to your Oracle8i database.

3. Rather than me trying to advise on a development strategy, I suggest that you refer to Oracle TechNet (technet.oracle.com), and look at the Products->Internet Tools->JDeveloper section. There are lots of Technical White Papers about developing Java solutions with JDeveloper.

4. Try setting the CLASSPATH environment variable.

5. For 8i (8.1.6) you need any 2.2.x kernel, glibc 2.1.x, I think any JDK after 1.1.6 is OK.

Sorry if I can't answer everything. My java knowledge is limited, and the deployment options are varied.
Re: Thank you very much but this time maybe even more.Help! [message #367396 is a reply to message #367391] Fri, 20 October 2000 04:58 Go to previous message
hunter

Thank U for your help.
I will earnestly think about your suggestion and meet you here later.
Previous Topic: Cartridges not getting started
Next Topic: Can WedDB do these things for me?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:05 CDT 2024