Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server
Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server [message #367380] Tue, 10 October 2000 11:19 Go to next message
Marc
Hi, hope someone can help. I have a Unix (Sun Solaris) server which has oracle 8i installed in it, along with OAS. Previously, we have developed our web interfaces Oracle Application Server w/ Pl/Sql and html - nothing too complex. My question is this: is there a way to develop an interface using this setup but switching to ASP for development. I know the Application Server recognises Perl but I don't have time to learn it right now.
Re: Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server [message #367381 is a reply to message #367380] Tue, 10 October 2000 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Logan Wood
OAS does not support Active Server Pages on Unix - you could probably run ASP with OAS for NT, if you are using IIS as well. Though this would beg the question as to why you were using OAS at all.

Oracle would probably suggest that you use JSP and/or Java Servlets in an OAS environment if you don't want to use the PL/SQL Cartridge.
Re: Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server [message #367382 is a reply to message #367380] Tue, 10 October 2000 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc
I was kinda thrown into this - the environment was already set up this way. Some applications already use the PL/Sql cartridge. Some people have suggested installing Apache on the Unix server and then installing some third party software that allows you to use ASP from the Unix box. I was just wondering if there was a more straight forward way of doing it. Some have also suggested upgrading to Oracle 9iAS.
Re: Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server [message #367383 is a reply to message #367380] Tue, 10 October 2000 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Logan Wood
You could use the opens-source version of Apache with an add-on like Apache::ASP (www.nodeworks.com/asp), or ChiliSoft. The former uses Perl scripting, but it's opens-source. The latter will cost money.

However, if you use open-source Apache, you'll need to get hold of a mod_plsql module to run your PL/SQL Cartridge applications. There are a couple around, but support and documentation is limited.

You could migrate to iAS (now called Oracle9i Application Server). This will give you an Oracle-supported mod_plsql on Apache, and a mod_perl. If you want to add third-party Apache modules to support ASP to iAS you'll be on your own - it's not part of the standard Oracle9iAS offering.

If you don't mind me asking, why the move from PL/SQL to ASP. I can see the advantage of using ASP if you're using IIS on NT, but I'm not sure of the benefit of running ASP on Solaris?
Re: Using ASP scripts with Oracle8i on a Unix Server [message #367384 is a reply to message #367380] Tue, 10 October 2000 13:02 Go to previous message
Marc
Basically, we have a lot of people who are fluent in ASP and only one who knows anything about oracle (me) and I'm a contractor whose contract could end at any time. The powers that be wanted to know if it was possible to use ASP as that would make it easier to find someone to develop/maintain the application in the future. Plus I would not mind learning ASP myself - however, I think that I will go ahead with the PL/SQL approach - it is just more straightforward. Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic: Replacing Powerbuilder Application with Oracle 8i
Next Topic: Best method to connect to oracle on Sequent ( Dynix)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:44:24 CDT 2024