Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PROS AND CONS: schema vs database
PROS AND CONS: schema vs database [message #37348] Fri, 01 February 2002 08:58 Go to next message
CATHYBEE
I am doing migration from
Rdb to Oracle9i..
In Rdb, i have 2 different databases: D0 and D1.
I am trying to decide, if i want them as 2 different databases or 2 schemas in the Oracle..
What are the PROS AND CONS of having 2 different databases vs 2 schema's..

Also, how do i create another schema(I have the script for create tables etc.. from ERWIN)??

Any help is appreciated..
Re: PROS AND CONS: schema vs database [message #37400 is a reply to message #37348] Wed, 06 February 2002 04:10 Go to previous message
Armani D
Hi CathyBee,

I answered your question on how to create a new schema on your other posting. However in essence, remember that an instance involves several background processes, memory for Oracle and disk space to accomodate the tablespaces associated with your new instance. A new scheme is merely another user in a database. Therefore, you do not incur the overhead and the attention that an instance needs to maintain a schema. Overall you should judge what information you hold in your schema...is it for recovery or backup purposes? If so, then another DB preferably on another server would be your best choice..

Cheers!

AD
Previous Topic: Trigger for ALTER TABLE
Next Topic: sending oracle report by email
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:07:51 CDT 2024