Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » A question about triggers (I think!)
A question about triggers (I think!) [message #36781] Thu, 20 December 2001 02:38
Steve Haeck
The problem: A single table has a column containing a complex binary structure which, when interpreted in the context of the current user id, dictates whether or not the database should expose the existence of a row on a per-user basis. It is easy to construct some PL-SQL to make the decision, but it is not immediately clear if it would be possible to bind the implementation to the table in such a way as to eliminate the possibility that a user for whom the row is deemed unsuitable can be alerted to it’s presence.

Ideally, I could use a trigger-like event on read to cause my stored procedure to evaluate the row in the context of my current user id. For example, a return code of 0 would cause the row to be used normally, 1 would cause The DB to skip the row and 2 would replace all but the primary key with null values. I have been unable to find such a feature in documentation I’ve come across – by any chance has anyone any experience of this sort of problem (on Oracle or any other database?)

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Topic: Program taking a lot of time ..... needs optimization
Next Topic: Global variable in Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:00:56 CDT 2024