Home » Developer & Programmer » JDeveloper, Java & XML » Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? (9.2.0.8 database, on XP Professional SP2)
Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? [message #359316] Fri, 14 November 2008 13:53 Go to next message
dougwhittier
Hi, all.

I'm implementing Oracle 9i on an XP desktop for a project using Java. Would prefer to have used 10g, but we have physical memory restrictions (VMWare under XP only allows 2G, and 9i has a smaller memory footprint)...

Anyway.

9i installs with a couple of older JREs (1.4.2, I believe).

The project requires version 1.6.

I *believe* that the following is true:

-Oracle 9i requires the versions of the JRE that it installs;
-these JREs cannot be uninstalled, nor omitted with the product install;
-altering the Windows search path such that the desired (1.6) JRE\bin directory is listed first will allow the desired JRE to be accessed, without interfering with Oracle.

Can anyone confirm that the above is correct? As well, a pointer to a document that discusses why Oracle needs these versions of the JRE would be appreciated. If I could remove them, and only have the most recent version installed on the computer, that would be ideal.

Thanks kindly for any comments!
Re: Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? [message #359317 is a reply to message #359316] Fri, 14 November 2008 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Oracle does not care of the JRE you use outside it.
The only thing is that Java stored procedures can only use JRE of your Oracle version as Oracle uses its internal JRE.

Regards
Michel
Re: Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? [message #359320 is a reply to message #359317] Fri, 14 November 2008 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dougwhittier
Thanks, Michel.

I did find an Oracle technote which suggests an option of overwriting the binaries in $ORACLE_HOME/jre with the binaries of the desired JRE.

The specific technote was in reference to Oracle for UNIX, and I'm on Windows.

But I'm wondering if that option would be problematic - just overwriting the jre binaries in the ORACLE_HOME with the desired version?

Re: Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? [message #359322 is a reply to message #359320] Fri, 14 November 2008 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why not just using your JRE directory for your application.
I don't see why you have to overwrite Oracle one.
As far as I know, you need JRE in Oracle directory only for Oracle wizards (oui, dbca, netca...).

Regards
Michel
Re: Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? [message #359323 is a reply to message #359316] Fri, 14 November 2008 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dougwhittier
...and Java stored procs, though, correct?

I'm wondering if it's possible to have Oracle use a non-default (more recent) JRE for its Java stored procs...
Re: Question: Using newer JRE/JDK than what Oracle 9i provides? [message #359345 is a reply to message #359323] Sat, 15 November 2008 01:25 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No it is not possible, only 11g and up allows upgrade of its JRE.

Regards
Michel

Previous Topic: Java Stored Prcedures in Oracle
Next Topic: Customized XML Ouput
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:22:56 CDT 2024