Home » RDBMS Server » Security » DENY over other rights (Oracle 8)
DENY over other rights [message #351913] Fri, 03 October 2008 12:56 Go to next message
livgonzales

Hello everyone,

Im new to Oracle, been a MS SQL server user most of my working life.

I was asking from the DBA create view rights and I was told I cannot have them because I only have select and it will be cumbersome for him or something.

I am wondering if he can give me create view rights, THEN DENY me insert, update, delete and drop rights on DBA tables.

I wish to create my own table, even temporary ones, my own views, but I should not be given rights that can mess up their database.

Thanks.
Re: DENY over other rights [message #351919 is a reply to message #351913] Fri, 03 October 2008 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
on DBA tables.

Why on DBA tables? You have to justify that.

Quote:
I wish to create my own table, even temporary ones, my own views, but I should not be given rights that can mess up their database.

If it is a development database, why not.
If it is a production database, DBA is right unless you have a business need for that (which I doubt).
Remember that Oracle has not the same temporary tables than MS SQL Server and most often does not need temporary table.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 03 October 2008 13:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DENY over other rights [message #351926 is a reply to message #351919] Fri, 03 October 2008 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
livgonzales

Hi Michel,

Thank you for answering my question.

It is a production database.

Dba tables meaning, I should only have rights to drop/insert/update my tables that start with say: livg.table1

Can he do that? Can he just deny me the "mess up" rights on the dba tables?

If so, do you have the syntax so I can make his life simpler by giving them to him, I mean if you already have the code. If not, kindly point me to the right direction. I would appreciate any further help.

Thanks again.

-liv

Re: DENY over other rights [message #351929 is a reply to message #351926] Fri, 03 October 2008 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There is no object creation/modification on a production database unless you are in new release delivery time.

Database objects are like code. Do you modify your program code in production?

Regards
Michel
Re: DENY over other rights [message #351943 is a reply to message #351926] Fri, 03 October 2008 15:43 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, but why do you want to do anything on a production database?
Quote:
I wish to create my own table, even temporary ones, my own views
Where and why? If it is for testing or educational purposes, you could download and install your own Oracle database version (consider 10g Express Edition) from the Oracle Technology Network site and do whatever you want - create and drop tables, views, anything.

If that's not the option, ask DBA to create your own schema in a database which can live with your presence (for example, a development database, production replication database which is used for testing purposes, ...).
Previous Topic: Insufficient privileges
Next Topic: Login Problem with Database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:28:20 CDT 2024