Home » Server Options » Replication » Database recovery in a replication environment (Oracle 11g, Windows XP)
Database recovery in a replication environment [message #349970] Tue, 23 September 2008 11:19 Go to next message
PayoRanger
Hi everybody,

I've configured a replication environment with Oracle 11g (Multi-master synchronous replication). Apparently it works fine, when replication is started any change in a table that belongs in a node is replicated in the rest of the nodes.

One of the tests I'm making is the following: Try to see what happens if one of the nodes drops. Meanwhile one of the nodes is no avalaible, any modification in an available node is not allowed (as I expected). I'm trying to see if the database service can be available meanwhile a node is missing, although the replications is not running.

What I've experienced is replication cannot be suspended until the the node was down is restarted.

Is this the usual behaviour or can I set any parameters to avoid this? In other words, is it possible the database service is running meanwhile one of the nodes is down? The application I'm working on needs this type of replication, buy also needs the service is running always?

What can I do to make possible the service is running even when a node falls?

Thanks in advance

Re: Database recovery in a replication environment [message #350035 is a reply to message #349970] Tue, 23 September 2008 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Quote:
Try to see what happens if one of the nodes drops. Meanwhile one of the nodes is no avalaible,

Nodes - It's database or replicaton group or any thing else ?

Babu

[Updated on: Tue, 23 September 2008 17:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Database recovery in a replication environment [message #350090 is a reply to message #350035] Wed, 24 September 2008 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PayoRanger
When I say node I mean a database.

What I'm looking for is this: if one of the databases drops, of course replication cannot continue working, but at last the nodes are available can go on without replication.

Re: Database recovery in a replication environment [message #350347 is a reply to message #350090] Wed, 24 September 2008 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Are you using ASYNC or SYNC method?

Babu
Re: Database recovery in a replication environment [message #351296 is a reply to message #350347] Tue, 30 September 2008 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PayoRanger
I'm using synchronous replication, although I could use the asynchronous option with a very short period to propagate changes.

Could be possible the database service goes on without replication y one of the nodes drops without user intervention?

Best wishes

Payo

Re: Database recovery in a replication environment [message #351343 is a reply to message #351296] Tue, 30 September 2008 07:34 Go to previous message
babuknb

Yes. I think little bit i analyzed.

Quote:
I'm using synchronous replication

Quote:
Try to see what happens if one of the nodes drops. Meanwhile one of the nodes is no avalaible

As per your environment configuration. One of the node (database) dropped or not available data should rollback. This is not good. You can go with ASYNC environment.
Quote:

Try to see what happens if one of the nodes drops. Meanwhile one of the nodes is no avalaible, any modification in an available node is not allowed (as I expected). I'm trying to see if the database service can be available meanwhile a node is missing, although the replications is not running

Yes. I agree this is good question. If it's read only materialized view's in your missing or dropped node(database) no need to worry. You can transfer from master site.

Suppose; If it's Updatable materialized view then we need to worry.

With out backup no way to recover.

Babu

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2008 07:37]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Pb package DBMS_SNAP_INTERNAL invalid in replication 9.2.0.1
Next Topic: Views or Streaming
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:28:24 CDT 2024