Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Using UTL_FILE to read from a network drive
Using UTL_FILE to read from a network drive [message #35794] Tue, 16 October 2001 08:03 Go to next message
Tony
I am trying to use the UTL_FILE package to read from a shared network drive and I continue to get an invalid operation from Oracle. Can files from shared network drives be read and manipulated.

P.S I have the UTL_FILE_DIR set to *

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Using UTL_FILE to read from a network drive [message #35799 is a reply to message #35794] Tue, 16 October 2001 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Thaler
I specify a specific drivedirectory in the init.ora file i.e. utl_file_dir=c:oracle_files, and the c drive is setup as a shared drive. The actual code in the sql script is:
utl_file.fopen('C:ORACLE_FILES','NOTATION.TXT','r');

Re: Using UTL_FILE to read from a network drive [message #35802 is a reply to message #35799] Tue, 16 October 2001 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony
This is in response to Don's email:
I need to know if this will work on a network drive, not just a file on my local machine. For instance, if I have my server mapped to another computer in my network, say drive E:, I wish to be able to read files from this drive. So far I get an invalid operation by doing this. I already know how to do this with a file on my local machine.

Thanks

Re: Using UTL_FILE to read from a network drive [message #36642 is a reply to message #35799] Fri, 07 December 2001 12:51 Go to previous message
Kenny
Has anyone had any luck with this? I am running into the same problem.

Previous Topic: Calling stored function in VB
Next Topic: DBMS_SQL.DEFINE_COLUMN error!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:13:13 CDT 2024