Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Why seqences cant be done this way
Why seqences cant be done this way [message #35772] Mon, 15 October 2001 01:18 Go to next message
dino
Hello ,

We can Create or replace for triggers, functions,procedures,...

why is it not possible for sequences, tables etc,

Can any one please explain ??

thanks in advance
dino

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Why seqences cant be done this way [message #35782 is a reply to message #35772] Mon, 15 October 2001 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian
Hello,

In My Opinion.

Tables, seguences and indexes are in a way a physical object.

Triggers, functions and procedures are not a physical object.

Do we really ever want to replace a table? If they make it too easy then accidents could happen.

Re: Why seqences cant be done this way [message #35788 is a reply to message #35782] Tue, 16 October 2001 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dino
Hello ,

I agree for table being classifed as a physical entity , but what about sequences.
i cant imagine sequences as anything physical.

sequences are the one's that triggered this doubt in me

thanks for further clarifications

Re: Why seqences cant be done this way [message #35797 is a reply to message #35782] Tue, 16 October 2001 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian
Hi,

I agree that sequences are a little different.

But the physical description of the sequence is contained in the database. Even though it would be a rather small physical thing.

Another way I look at it. What happens if you delete the item.

If you delete a stored procedure, trigger, or package. No problem, you just recreate it.

If you delete a table, you lose the data. If you delete a sequence you lose the last value.

Indexes are different. If you delete an index, you can recreate it. But it has so much physical pieces the time to create takes a long time.

Another weird thing with sequences. It is actually owned by sys. So if you do an import/export you have to make sure you have the proper permissions to bring with the export and then import. So if you plan to do an import/export and there are sequences involved, check the Oracle documentation.

Brian

Re: Why seqences cant be done this way [message #35812 is a reply to message #35782] Wed, 17 October 2001 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dino
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the info, as you rightly said export and import of sequences does not happen .

where to look in oracle documentation.do u mean to refer the oracle release notes.

thanks in advance

Re: Why seqences cant be done this way [message #35821 is a reply to message #35782] Wed, 17 October 2001 08:13 Go to previous message
Brian
Hi,

I mean look at the Oracle documentation under the section that talks about Import.

Do you have the Oracle documentation installed at your location? Accessable to you?

If not you can get it installed. There should be a CD labeled Online Documentation.

You could also join otn.oracle.com (Oracle Technology Network). It is free. Then you will have access to documentation online.

I hope that helps. Also, my information is how it works for me. May be a little different depending on your setup.

Brian

Previous Topic: Problems with SQL*Plus and Stored Procedures
Next Topic: Re: Table Lock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:03:30 CDT 2024