Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » recreating oracle from hard drive (9i on windows)
recreating oracle from hard drive [message #339427] Thu, 07 August 2008 08:41 Go to next message
eagyeman
One of our older systems had oracle 9i installed on it. The system was shut down a while ago and when we recently tried to restart it, we could not. We are planning to take the drive out of the old sever and copy the information onto a new server, with all the oracle binaries, oracle files as well as the database physical files (ctrl files, datafiles etc). I am not aware of any backups taken. Which alternatives do I have to bring up this oracle database so we can get to the information.

THanks
Re: recreating oracle from hard drive [message #339435 is a reply to message #339427] Thu, 07 August 2008 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
sqlplus
/ as sysdba
startup
exit

If DB starts, you can get old data.
If DB does not start, refer to documented & tested restoration procedures.
Re: recreating oracle from hard drive [message #339454 is a reply to message #339435] Thu, 07 August 2008 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunil_v_mishra
I need few clarification

[1] eagyeman which O/S you are using?
[2] R you able to access all folder and directory relate to oracle datafiles?
[3] Do you know How to set ORACLE_SID on windows and Linux?
[4] Its a personal question R you DBA ? if yes then which command you gave to start DB and what error you got please paste here on forum ....

Re: recreating oracle from hard drive [message #339456 is a reply to message #339454] Thu, 07 August 2008 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eagyeman
[1] eagyeman which O/S you are using?
[2] R you able to access all folder and directory relate to oracle datafiles?
[3] Do you know How to set ORACLE_SID on windows and Linux?
[4] Its a personal question R you DBA ? if yes then which command you gave to start DB and what error you got please paste here on forum ....

OS is windows 2000
Yes we are able to access all folders on the hard drive we plugged in
I am a DBA. We just put the drive so I will try to start it and see if it works and will get back to you
Re: recreating oracle from hard drive [message #339802 is a reply to message #339456] Fri, 08 August 2008 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
I may be wrong, but I think your best bet might be
1) Install the same version of Oracle on your new box as on the old one.
2) Create a database with the control files in the same locations and with the same names as the old database (get these from the Init.ora file
3) Copy all the datafiles from the old Db into the same locations on the new Db.

You should be able to start this new database up, and it should contain all the data of the old one.
Re: recreating oracle from hard drive [message #339817 is a reply to message #339456] Fri, 08 August 2008 13:49 Go to previous message
ebrian
Since this is Windoze, you won't be able to "just start it". Prior to being able to start the database, you'll need to create a Windows service for Oracle with oradim.
Previous Topic: How we can recover through RMAN...
Next Topic: BACKUP FAILS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 18:25:13 CDT 2024