Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restore issue (9i windows 2003)
restore issue [message #335998] Thu, 24 July 2008 06:33 Go to next message
maoro
hello

i made a cold backup of a database named "A",
then on another windows 2003 i installed oracle 9i and created a database also named "A"
then i shutdown this database and replaced the files(data,redo.conrol,spfile) from the original one

and i started the instance and it opened normally, i tried to login with some users that exist on the database from sqlplus
and i was able to login normally

but when i use the application to connect using the same username and password of course using another connect string to point to the restored database,it fails with a password invalid error
while from sqlplus it works fine
any advise is really really appreciated

Re: restore issue [message #336003 is a reply to message #335998] Thu, 24 July 2008 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Not enough information to compute.

Regards
Michel
Re: restore issue [message #336006 is a reply to message #336003] Thu, 24 July 2008 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maoro
what information is missing?

the issue in simple words is that connection succeed from sqlplus
while it fails from the application to the restored database...
Re: restore issue [message #336008 is a reply to message #336006] Thu, 24 July 2008 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
But what WE don't know is how you connect, with which parameters, which configuration files, which clients, what is the error...

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 07:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restore issue [message #336024 is a reply to message #335998] Thu, 24 July 2008 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maoro

i updated the tnsnames.ora file to create a new connection string,
i tested the new connection string using sqlplus on the same client as the application. it worked very fine

i tried the application that reads the same tnsnames.ora file where the old connection string is defined with the new defined connection string,it gives an error that says
"invalid password" no error number
no parameters

any help is appreciated
Re: restore issue [message #336032 is a reply to message #335998] Thu, 24 July 2008 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & follow posting guidelines as stated in URL above

What does listener.log file contain involving connection attempts from application?

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 14:50] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: restore issue [message #336093 is a reply to message #335998] Thu, 24 July 2008 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bobs3301
So, are you saying that you can connect to the new database from client (say C1) using sqlplus (for all users ) ....but you cannot connect from application installed in C1 using the same user credentials ?

If that is the case , please let us know what is the sort of application and how does it authenticate users into the DB ?

just a blind guess... some old applications first login as sys into database and authenticate the user credentials against data within a table in that database , and let the user IN . So if the application cannot connect as sys , it fails !

Is this the same case in your application ?

check again..are you able to connect as sys from sqlplus ?

Thanks ,

Bobby .
Re: restore issue [message #337974 is a reply to message #335998] Fri, 01 August 2008 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edjohnson
Hi,

I have a same situation for restore. The database is in archivelog mode, all db files are in ASM, and controlfile is used by RMAN. I had made several times of cold backup (offline consistent backup), the purpose is to restore db quickly back to the any cold backup time before and create new controlfile to get rid of incarnations. I tested backup/restore, it kind of worked but it seems not like said that it needs no recovery. In fact, it needs recovery and open db resetlogs.

My questions are:
1. With archivelog mode on, is recover a must? or some times recover is not necessary? How can I restore the db back to previous cold backup files cleanly without recovery (without archivelogs apply)?

2. How can I have a snaptshot of the datafile, so I don't need to keep track of the archivelogs, since I just need to restore datafiles which has all redo records already in?

3. How can I re-create the controlfile to get rid of the incarnation information? As that way let me not to lose the old control files after I create new controlfile. Right now the control file keeps many incarnation entries.

Here is the core part of my current cold backup commands:
run
{
backup incremental level 0 cumulative as compressed backupset tag '${sid}_rman0_${TIMESTAMP}' database;
backup as copy current controlfile tag '${sid}_rman0_ctlf_${TIMESTAMP}';
}

Please provide your comments and advices, thanks in advance.
Re: restore issue [message #337975 is a reply to message #335998] Fri, 01 August 2008 18:43 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Please read & follow posting guidelines as stated in URL above

You really should NOT hijack an existing thread.
Previous Topic: Clone Database Using RMAN without Recover Catalog
Next Topic: Who is responsible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:59:17 CDT 2024