Home » Server Options » Text & interMedia » Phrase querying
Phrase querying [message #326836] Thu, 12 June 2008 16:19 Go to next message
Agus211
Hi, I'm having a problem when I want to search a phrase containing a stopword.

Is there any way to search a term like "BOB IS TALL" (IS is a stopword) and get all the documents that contain only "BOB IS TALL" and not phrases like "BOB WAS TALL" that It's not the idea to get?.

Thank's in advance...

Re: Phrase querying [message #326851 is a reply to message #326836] Thu, 12 June 2008 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Agus211 wrote on Thu, 12 June 2008 14:19
Hi, I'm having a problem when I want to search a phrase containing a stopword.

Is there any way to search a term like "BOB IS TALL" (IS is a stopword) and get all the documents that contain only "BOB IS TALL" and not phrases like "BOB WAS TALL" that It's not the idea to get?.

No, not with Oracle Text and IS in the stoplist. It will return BOB any_one_word TALL. You can remove IS from the stoplist, but that usually causes more problems than it solves. You can search using INSTR instead of CONTAINS, but then you would not be able to use the text index and other text features. It seems like kind of an unusual requirement to need to find "BOB IS TALL" and not "BOB WAS TALL", but perhaps this is a simplification of a more complex problem.
Re: Phrase querying [message #327775 is a reply to message #326836] Tue, 17 June 2008 09:22 Go to previous message
Agus211
Hi, that's what I thought...removing the word from the stoplist would cause a lot of problems because this time the problem is with that word, but tomorrow they'll need to search using an another stopword and I'll be in the same situation.
"Bob is tall" is just an example, actually my stoplist is in spanish and the phrase that made the user complain was "Ciudad de Asuncion" ("de" is a stopword that in this case would mean "of").
This matter should be cataloged as "not fixable" with Oracle Text????.

Thank's Barbara for your help.
Previous Topic: Oracle Text - wildcard expansion too many rows
Next Topic: Synchronizing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:59:01 CDT 2024