Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs (Oracle 9i)
Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321576] Tue, 20 May 2008 14:27 Go to next message
jayoung
We had a server "windows 2003" recently crash with a bad c:\ drive.
but oracle was installed on a raid 5 array located on the z:\ drive,

The person who fixed the server did not put it back with the raid drives, which were still intact and all he gave me was the old oracle dir from the raid container "this is my only backup",
I have tried to reinstall oracle to the new c:\ drive that is on the server "this is the only drive now no more z:\" and then over writing the the datafiles with the backed up datafiles with the database shutdown, this is not working can anyone give me some idea's on how to fix this?

Do i need to use the Alter Database Reuse command to tell oracle were the old datafiles are that i want it to use instead of the new ones? also should i tell it how to point to the old control files in the init.ora ? what about the old redo logs do i need to reuse them to?

Thanks
Jay

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321596 is a reply to message #321576] Tue, 20 May 2008 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
jayoung wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 15:27
... and then over writing the the datafiles with the backed up datafiles with the database shutdown, this is not working can anyone give me some idea's on how to fix this?

How are you overwriting the files if the Z: drive isn't available anymore?

What type of backup do you have?

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321599 is a reply to message #321596] Tue, 20 May 2008 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jayoung
Quote:
How are you overwriting the files if the Z: drive isn't available anymore?

I just copied and pasted them over the original datafiles that were blank from the creation of the new database with the same name...

Quote:
What type of backup do you have?

all i have is the whole oracle dir from the old z:\ drive
no archive logs or exports for some reason the export job quit running...

also i updated my original post to better explain my situation, I was rushing a bit on the first attempt. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:24]

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321628 is a reply to message #321599] Tue, 20 May 2008 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jayoung
anyone else that can help would be greatly appreciated, I am running out of time on this, if I did not explain my situation with the database good enough please let me know and maybe I can explain it better...

Thanks For any help
Jay
Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321630 is a reply to message #321576] Tue, 20 May 2008 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>then over writing the the datafiles with the backed up datafiles with the database shutdown,
If the database shutdown cleanly before the files were copied away, then you should be able to just:
sqlplus
/ as sysdba
startup
exit

>this is not working
My car is not working.
Tell me how to fix my car.
I doubt you could post a more useless statement.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2008 22:10] by Moderator

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321643 is a reply to message #321630] Tue, 20 May 2008 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jayoung
should i install the schema's back to the db first them overwrite the new data files with the old datafiles?

the reason i am asking is because i have tried this before with no luck, it acts like the files are missing after i overwrite them, is there something telling oracle to look on the old z:\ drive after i over write them?

Thanks for your help
Jay

also if you will tell me what wrong with your car i can give you a idea on how to fix it....

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:16]

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321645 is a reply to message #321576] Tue, 20 May 2008 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>is there something telling oracle to look on the old z:\
More than likely there is; like the restored control files.

I suspect you need to recreate the controlfiles specifying the new locations of all the files.
Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321648 is a reply to message #321645] Tue, 20 May 2008 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jayoung
can i use the Alter Database Reuse to tell it were the old files are?
Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321651 is a reply to message #321576] Tue, 20 May 2008 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>can i use the Alter Database Reuse to tell it were the old files are?
I give up. Can you?
I thought that no Z:\ exists on system now.
If files exist in/on original volume, then you should be able to just open the database.
If files now exist on a different volume, then a new control file must be created.
Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #321657 is a reply to message #321651] Tue, 20 May 2008 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jayoung
anacedent wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 23:33
>can i use the Alter Database Reuse to tell it were the old files are?
I give up. Can you?
I thought that no Z:\ exists on system now.
If files exist in/on original volume, then you should be able to just open the database.
If files now exist on a different volume, then a new control file must be created.

wow what post turned you so bitter? I am just looking for help, your post have been nothing but insulting. I appreciate you trying to help me and maybe in your world you don't need a little bit more explaining, But i do, Maybe you should take a posting break vacation,

I have always tried to keep my post count down here and not ask for to much help, sorry that i am not good at giving help but i would try a little harder if i could help someone here, not insult them.

But thanks for your shot at helping me, I just have someone else data that they need restored and i wanted to make sure i got it right...

Jay

[Updated on: Wed, 21 May 2008 02:01]

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #342243 is a reply to message #321657] Thu, 21 August 2008 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim2boles
To be honest with you, it sounds like you need a database administrator with more experience and knowledge of backup and recovery process. I am by no means an expert on Windows and I do not know to what point your administrator restored you box, but here is what I am assuming.

1. The administrator restored the rdbms software to its original state and that the original registry entries are the same. I am assuming that all tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora and other administrative files are in place and in the same condition as they were before the crash.

2. All your files for the actual database including your control, redo, and datafiles where on the Z:/ drive.

I don't know all the steps you have attempted in restoring this database from your postings. I will try to put the restoration process in a clear manner for you.

The easiest manner is to restore a connection to the Z:/ drive. What I mean by this is that you could possibly create a directory on the C:/ drive map a network directory there calling it a Z:/ drive and place your files back into the same directory path. This way you avoid having to change anything.

If that is not an option we continue to option 2. Lets say you still have viable control files from the original database as well as the original initORA_SID.ora files. Again they have to be the original files, not new ones made from a create database process. You can then change the location of the files by updating the initORA_SID.ora file and using the "alter databsae rename file" command to tell the database the location of the files. Remember your database must be in a mount state for this to happen, and be using the original control files.

If you do not have the original files then things get a lot more complicated. You will need to recreate the controlfiles from scratch. You really need a good understanding on how everything goes together for this type of recovery. In fact being in noarchive mode I am really doubtful you will get a good recovery.

The last option would be to create a new database and import from an old dump. Which means you lose database, but being in noarchive logmode tells me that you were not really concerned about the data anyhow.

I would encourage you to do 3 things in the future.
1. Grow in you Oracle knowlegde.
2. put database in archivelog mode.
3. have a good backup recovery plan.
4. practice your backup recovery on a test system

Regards,
Tim

[Updated on: Thu, 21 August 2008 15:03]

Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #342244 is a reply to message #321576] Thu, 21 August 2008 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Responding to a 3 month old post may be an exercise in futility,
Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #342245 is a reply to message #342244] Thu, 21 August 2008 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim2boles
You are so right. I transposed the month to August ..... ohhh well.
Re: Oracle 9i Recovery No Archive Logs [message #342539 is a reply to message #342243] Fri, 22 August 2008 12:56 Go to previous message
jayoung
tim2boles wrote on Thu, 21 August 2008 15:01
To be honest with you, it sounds like you need a database administrator with more experience and knowledge of backup and recovery process. I am by no means an expert on Windows and I do not know to what point your administrator restored you box, but here is what I am assuming.

1. The administrator restored the rdbms software to its original state and that the original registry entries are the same. I am assuming that all tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, listener.ora and other administrative files are in place and in the same condition as they were before the crash.

2. All your files for the actual database including your control, redo, and datafiles where on the Z:/ drive.

I don't know all the steps you have attempted in restoring this database from your postings. I will try to put the restoration process in a clear manner for you.

The easiest manner is to restore a connection to the Z:/ drive. What I mean by this is that you could possibly create a directory on the C:/ drive map a network directory there calling it a Z:/ drive and place your files back into the same directory path. This way you avoid having to change anything.

If that is not an option we continue to option 2. Lets say you still have viable control files from the original database as well as the original initORA_SID.ora files. Again they have to be the original files, not new ones made from a create database process. You can then change the location of the files by updating the initORA_SID.ora file and using the "alter databsae rename file" command to tell the database the location of the files. Remember your database must be in a mount state for this to happen, and be using the original control files.

If you do not have the original files then things get a lot more complicated. You will need to recreate the controlfiles from scratch. You really need a good understanding on how everything goes together for this type of recovery. In fact being in noarchive mode I am really doubtful you will get a good recovery.

The last option would be to create a new database and import from an old dump. Which means you lose database, but being in noarchive logmode tells me that you were not really concerned about the data anyhow.

I would encourage you to do 3 things in the future.
1. Grow in you Oracle knowlegde.
2. put database in archivelog mode.
3. have a good backup recovery plan.
4. practice your backup recovery on a test system

Regards,
Tim

the database was only 1 week old when it crashed i had it doing exports of the data, the network admin failed to setup his network backup software, also his computer tech in the field failed to report that they where having brown outs in the office and did not replace the battery backup on the server.

After looking at the oracle directory that i received from the office i noticed all the the files where not there this is when i started to question about what drive had really crashed and what really happened in the office, in the end all data was recovered nothing lost, reminded of the lesson don't trust anyone but yourself

and hope this person "anacedent" does not respond to your post because he is of no value or help unless you like to made to feel stupid.... they have a word for people like him and i am sure the people he works with know the word to, gez what an A-H%LE

Previous Topic: accidentally deleted data file
Next Topic: RMAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 16:46:34 CDT 2024