Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Euro symbol being displayed as upside down question mark (Oracle Reports 10g)
Euro symbol being displayed as upside down question mark [message #316048] Wed, 23 April 2008 10:12 Go to next message
Tom Dunne
I'm having trouble figuring out where my problem is. I have a report that is being generated in PDF format and where the Euro symbol should be, an upside down question mark it appearing. The Euro symbol is in a column header of the report, so is not being read from the database.

Setup is: Windows 2003 - App server 10g + report server.

Database is 10g on a separate Unix machine. The symbol itself isn't being stored in the database, so I am fairly confident that the problem lies on the app/report server. The NLS_LANG parameter of the database is WE8ISO8859P1 (don't think this is a problem, is it?)

The App server NLS_LANG environment variable is set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252, which does contain the Euro symbol. The Windows 2003 NLS codepage APC is set to 1252, which corresponds to the setting in the NLS_LANG of the app server.

Any ideas where I can continue troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Euro symbol being displayed as upside down question mark [message #316112 is a reply to message #316048] Wed, 23 April 2008 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, you can't see Euro symbol when report is generated into a PDF file.

In order to make sure whether Acrobat Reader properly displays Euro symbol, can you test it *somehow* (for example, use MS Word and (if you don't have Acrobat, use one of free PDF virtual printers (such as Primo PDF)).

If everything's fine with Acrobat Reader, how about Reports Builder? Do you see Euro symbol (let me try; I'm not sure what will be the final result people see, but - I see euro, right behind this colon: ¤)during report development, in Report Builder's Page Layout Editor? If so, which font do you use? Is it installed on Application Server?

Finally, we had a situation which was resolved by installing a PRINTER on IAS. No matter which printer (you won't print on it anyway) - for example, choose any of Hewlett-Packard model. I'm not saying that it will help in your case, but I guess it won't cost too much to try.
Re: Euro symbol being displayed as upside down question mark [message #316251 is a reply to message #316112] Thu, 24 April 2008 07:00 Go to previous message
Tom Dunne
Littlefoot wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 22:05
OK, you can't see Euro symbol when report is generated into a PDF file.

In order to make sure whether Acrobat Reader properly displays Euro symbol, can you test it *somehow* (for example, use MS Word and (if you don't have Acrobat, use one of free PDF virtual printers (such as Primo PDF)).

If everything's fine with Acrobat Reader, how about Reports Builder? Do you see Euro symbol (let me try; I'm not sure what will be the final result people see, but - I see euro, right behind this colon: ¤)during report development, in Report Builder's Page Layout Editor? If so, which font do you use? Is it installed on Application Server?

Finally, we had a situation which was resolved by installing a PRINTER on IAS. No matter which printer (you won't print on it anyway) - for example, choose any of Hewlett-Packard model. I'm not saying that it will help in your case, but I guess it won't cost too much to try.

Thanks for your detailed reply. It actually turned out to be the report file itself. It just occurred to me late yesterday evening to check it, since I had checked out everything else. I checked it and lo and behold, there was the upside-down question mark in the .rdf file. It was simply a matter of replacing it with the ¤ symbol.

I've tested it and confirmed it is now fixed.

Previous Topic: unable to pass flexfield values from report wrapper to oracle applications seeded report
Next Topic: Barcode Report using Reports 6i.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 14:34:44 CDT 2024