Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? (11.2.0.4, SLES SP2)
Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #652646] Wed, 15 June 2016 08:37 Go to next message
juniordbanewbie
Dear all,

currently my backup disk is only 490G

my current one full backup is about 130G

in simple maths 490G/130G only 3 full backup

DB still in non archive log

based on http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/archredo.htm#ADMIN11335

Shut down the database instance.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
An open database must first be closed and any associated instances shut down before you can switch the database archiving mode. You cannot change the mode from ARCHIVELOG to NOARCHIVELOG if any data files need media recovery.

Back up the database.

Before making any major change to a database, always back up the database to protect against any problems. This will be your final backup of the database in NOARCHIVELOG mode and can be used if something goes wrong during the change to ARCHIVELOG mode. See Oracle Database Backup and Recovery User's Guide for information about taking database backups.

Edit the initialization parameter file to include the initialization parameters that specify the destinations for the archived redo log files (see "Setting Initialization Parameters for Archive Destinations").

Start a new instance and mount, but do not open, the database.

STARTUP MOUNT
To enable or disable archiving, the database must be mounted but not open.

Change the database archiving mode. Then open the database for normal operations.

ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
Shut down the database.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
Back up the database.
=>you need to do two full backup one in non archive mode and one in full backup

after I switch to archivelog, and do a backup, I need to upgrade to 11.2.0.4

after the upgrade I need to do the backup again making it 3 full backups,

the disk itself will also contains archivelog, which may mean in worst case scenario I may run out of disk space when backing the db after upgrade, although I do not really anticipate it.
which backup can I really afford to delete?

thanks in advance!

Re: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #652648 is a reply to message #652646] Wed, 15 June 2016 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You are doing it in the wrong order. You should upgrade before changing the log mode.
Re: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #652650 is a reply to message #652648] Wed, 15 June 2016 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juniordbanewbie
John, why do u said it's wrong, I very scared if something does wrong during the upgrade. That means if something goes wrong during the upgrade, I can only depend on the last full backup.

whereas if in archivelog, I still can recover up to some point after the upgrade goes wrong right?
Re: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #652652 is a reply to message #652650] Wed, 15 June 2016 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
This is really very simple. To upgrade a database takes about 40 mins, depending on your environment. All you have to do is boot everybody off, do an offline backup, upgrade, convert to archivelog mode, do another backup, and open the database. If you are not confident in your ability to this rather simple task, you could consider hiring a consultant to do it for you. It won't take him very long.
Re: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #653206 is a reply to message #652652] Wed, 29 June 2016 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackluter
It's more to manage the huge data for days, any solution to secure.
Re: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #653208 is a reply to message #653206] Wed, 29 June 2016 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Is it a question? A statement? What else?

Re: Which Full Backup can I most afford to delete? [message #653209 is a reply to message #653206] Wed, 29 June 2016 03:56 Go to previous message
gazzag
As a rule of thumb keep the latest backup. The further back in time you go, the more data you will have lost. What is your point?
Previous Topic: Why should must db be open in archivelog before rebooting and doing a backup
Next Topic: Encounter ORA-19566 and ORA-19599 during scheduled backup (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:30:48 CDT 2024