Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » The Data Unloader DUL utility (11.2.0.1)
The Data Unloader DUL utility [message #645701] Sat, 12 December 2015 11:31 Go to next message
John Watson
Problem: I can open the database, but only if I take one datafile offline. This datafile cannot be recovered, because it needs an archivelog that is not available. Point-in-time recovery of the entire database to before the missing archive log does not work, because of other missing logs. THere are OS "backups" of the file system, but no matter what I do with _allow_resetlogs_corruption and other hacks, I can't get the database into a state where it remains open for long enough to do an export.

So I think the only option is the utility referred to as the Data Unloader that ACS (and no-one else) has access to. Googling around, it sounds as though it can read the data dictionary and use it to extract your tables from a datafile and save them as (for example) CSV files.

Has anyone used it? Did it work? And, before I suggest it to the client and engage with Oracle Support, any idea what it would cost? Or any other ideas?

Thank you for any insight.
Re: The Data Unloader DUL utility [message #645702 is a reply to message #645701] Sat, 12 December 2015 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I never used it in 11.2 but it worked in previous versions (up to 9.2).
As far as I know not all data types are supported.
The cost is at the level of the client hopes. Wink
I remember I found many years ago some concurrent programs on the web (just Google for "Oracle DUL"), mostly on Chinese or Russian sites, so take care (without speaking about compliance with your Oracle license).

On the last resort, if your data types are simple ones, you can use oradebug or alter system to dump the file and analyze the trace.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 December 2015 14:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Data Unloader DUL utility [message #645704 is a reply to message #645702] Sun, 13 December 2015 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
THank you for replying. So the tool does exist, and may work! That at least is good to know.

I did find a few references to 3rd party products on these lines, but they did indeed all seem to end up in China. That does not necessarily mean that they are illegal, but one does wonder.

So, it looks like back to the client, and say ACS is the only way.

Re: The Data Unloader DUL utility [message #645705 is a reply to message #645704] Sun, 13 December 2015 04:05 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Note the first thing ACS will say is that it is not guaranteed they get back all data (or even part of them) but the fee must be anyway payed.

Previous Topic: Implications Of A Full Monthly Backup And Recovery Windows of 7 Days
Next Topic: EMC networker for Oracle Rman recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:37:08 CDT 2024