Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Column Type changed in Interactive report (Apex 4.1)
Column Type changed in Interactive report [message #624822] Fri, 26 September 2014 04:29 Go to next message
cornwall
I have changed a column on a table from Numeric to varchar2.
One of our Apex applications has several public Interactive reports which have had a filter applied to this column.

When you run a report with a filter applied to this column an ORA-01722: invalid number is displayed.

As a developer how do you save the Interactive reports to the application.?

When the application changes are uploaded to the Production environment, do users see the new changes or do they each have a local copy which they need to modify themselves?

What if a user has created a private copy of the report? How do i find which reports are affected?
Re: Column Type changed in Interactive report [message #624825 is a reply to message #624822] Fri, 26 September 2014 05:11 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I can tell, Apex is rather strict when talking about correct usage of datatypes. For example, in SQL*Plus you can use
select *
from some_table
where varchar2_column = 3
as Oracle will implicitly convert 3 to '3' and return the result. Apex refuses to do that (I don't know why, didn't investigate much).

I have just tried to simulate what you asked (on Apex 4.2 as I don't have 4.1 here): created a table, created an interactive report (IR), created a filter on a NUMBER datatype column. Altered table (though, that doesn't go smoothly as a column has to be empty before changing its datatype) and set that column to a VARCHAR2 datatype. Ran the IR again - no problem at all.

As of the rest of your questions: you don't have to save anything; an IR runs well anyway. However, if you modify it, you do have to save the changes (otherwise, they will be lost next time you use it) in Actions - Save report - As default report settings. End users can't save it "as default", but as a named report only.

An Apex application is stored in the database. You move it to production by import process. As soon as it is over, end users see it. They don't have to do anything about it.

As of IR private copies: while on the IR page, go to Edit region and navigate to Saved Reports tab - you'll see them there. I don't know how to see all saved IRs (*maybe* somewhere on a workspace administration page(s)).
Previous Topic: Directed Tree using APEX
Next Topic: Format Mask
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:18:39 CDT 2024