Home » Other » Client Tools » Toad out of memory (Oracle 10.2.0.5.1, Toad 10.something XPertEdition)
Toad out of memory [message #565133] Thu, 30 August 2012 15:35 Go to next message
wakula
Laughing
Hi,

2 questions:
I'm fighting with a fairly large set of dynamic queries created by some developer (often SQL is over 2MB) accessing plenty of tables having something like 1000 columns...
Formatting of such query takes ages in Toad while is pretty fast in Oracle SQL Developer... SQL developer is running plenty write operations in local app data directory... moving it onto a ram-drive didn't helped Sad Any ideas how I could optimize Toad's formatter?

I'm often accessing a small table which has 100 columns of type VARCHAR2(4000).
The problem is that I cannot see the results of such query as Toad is throwing "out of memory" exception. How to deal with that?

Thanks in advance
Re: Toad out of memory [message #565160 is a reply to message #565133] Fri, 31 August 2012 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Obvious solution (from my point of view) is to avoid TOAD in this case and use a formatting tool which seems to be working just fine (i.e. SQL Developer). Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to force TOAD format 2MB files faster. Maybe guys at TOAD for Oracle community have a solution.

P.S. How much RAM do you have?

[Updated on: Fri, 31 August 2012 02:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Toad out of memory [message #565230 is a reply to message #565160] Fri, 31 August 2012 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wakula
3GB of RAM on the PC at my work.
And you are right... I would probably create an ticket in Toad (we paid them several thousands $ for some reason, didn't we?).
To the Black Swan... yes... we have created the mess ourselves and we should deal with that... this is our current long term plan Very Happy
Thanks for the replies.
Regards
Re: Toad out of memory [message #565240 is a reply to message #565230] Sat, 01 September 2012 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
3GB seems to be reasonably enough; I thought that, maybe, there was not enough RAM so TOAD had to use hard disk swapping which, in return, slowed things down.

(BlackSwan didn't participate this discussion yet, so - maybe you wanted to post that reply elsewhere?)
Re: Toad out of memory [message #565637 is a reply to message #565240] Wed, 05 September 2012 13:29 Go to previous message
wakula
Littlefoot wrote on Sat, 01 September 2012 10:20
3GB seems to be reasonably enough; I thought that, maybe, there was not enough RAM so TOAD had to use hard disk swapping which, in return, slowed things down.
Well... that is not the case... swapped file was some file in the application temporary dir (which is configurable under "general" options).

Littlefoot wrote on Sat, 01 September 2012 10:20
(BlackSwan didn't participate this discussion yet, so - maybe you wanted to post that reply elsewhere?)
He did - although on PM Very Happy
Previous Topic: listner configuration
Next Topic: can not open sqlplus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:04:00 CDT 2024