Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backing up/Restoring an Oracle database via an entire backup of the server (Oracle 11g Enterprise Edition)
Backing up/Restoring an Oracle database via an entire backup of the server [message #562947] Tue, 07 August 2012 04:03 Go to next message
kiwiboy
Hi all,

I've read a lot about the different types of backup available with Oracle (hot and cold backup). I think I got the idea.
However, I was thinking of a different way of performing this task. I'm currently using Windows Server 2008 R2 and Oracle 11g Standard Edition. I'd like to schedule an entire backup of my server via the utility "Windows Server Backup" (available for free).
That way, I could recover my entire server with all the programs and files in case the latter crashes.
I'm wondering if this solution could be used as a way of backing up (and recovering) the Oracle database. Should I still set up a regular hot backup with the Archivelog mode enabled in case some operations/transactions were being done at the time of the crash (for the data integrity)?

Sorry for this dumb question but that was something that came to my mind and I don't know if this could be used as a viable solution.
Thanks in advance for you help Razz .

Re: Backing up/Restoring an Oracle database via an entire backup of the server [message #562948 is a reply to message #562947] Tue, 07 August 2012 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can do it but you have to either stop the database or put it in backup mode.
And of course you have to manage all the backups and knows which ones to keep and which ones to delete depending on your backup/restore policy and have to restore the correct backups if you need to restore and recover...
In short, you have to do it in the hard way when RMAN can do it automatically for you.

More, RMAN is able to recover a lone corrupted block, are you able to do this with "Windows Server Backup"?

Regards
Michel

{Edit: missing word]

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2012 03:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Backing up/Restoring an Oracle database via an entire backup of the server [message #563352 is a reply to message #562948] Mon, 13 August 2012 02:57 Go to previous message
kiwiboy
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I think I'll opt for RMAN to back up my DB, and perform an additional server backup through "Windows Server Backup". That way, I'll be sure that all my data will be properly saved and could be recovered if any crash occurs...

Thanks again!
Previous Topic: Rman error
Next Topic: Doubt on Online Backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:34:26 CDT 2024