Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restoring pre-RMAN backup (8.1.0.7.1)
restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534746] Thu, 08 December 2011 18:20 Go to next message
debrucer

Just inherited an 8i DB that is being backed up with then common techniques used prior to RMAN. The tablespace is placed in backup mode, an OS copy of the file is taken, the tablespace is returned online, and the process is repeated until all files captured in an usable state.

It is running in archive log mode on a Linux OS and daily backups are initiated through crontab as well as jobs to purge the redo logs after backup. Backup storage recently filled - working since 2004. Not bad!

I have documented procedures for using these files with an operational 8i DB. Will I be able to restore these files directly into an 11g environment? What is the implication of 8i having DBA managed "RBS" (roll back segments) vs. 11g?

I am thinking I will have to build both versions. Anyone else with ideas as to how to proceed here? Your opinions appreciated very much.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2011 18:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534750 is a reply to message #534746] Thu, 08 December 2011 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>The tablespace is taken offline, an OS copy of the file is taken,
I don't believe you. I suspect tablespace is placed into "BACKUP" mode.

>Will I be able to restore these files directly into an 11g environment?
NO!

>Anyone else with ideas as to how to proceed here?
exp/imp is another option

Where in SD are you?
Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534751 is a reply to message #534750] Thu, 08 December 2011 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
debrucer

Note the time stamps, OFFLINE edited to BACKUP two minutes before your post Smile I'm guessing you were the moderator who helped me remove the additional post. Thanks! North County Coastal here. You? We haven't documented a good reason to use 11g, as this 8i setup has been running well for seven years. There are also RDIFF/RSYNCH cronjobs running which are creating a mirror at another IP address... running Oracle, flawlessly.
Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534752 is a reply to message #534751] Thu, 08 December 2011 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Yes, I did the cleanup.
Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside
How far North 1 - 5?
Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534753 is a reply to message #534750] Thu, 08 December 2011 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
debrucer

Having worked as an Oracle DBA with every version 2 to 11g, I have to understand these are just files, and with the proper entry, they can be made a part of something more current. I have quoted a flat rate on both a restore/recovery and a new version upgrade. My mistake and I may just have to do both jobs, if requested.

I would prefer to think that the software is still understandable enough to consider making catalog entries and directly attach files, as required. Building the client one DB with their data attached.

Nay very well not be the answer; but, I would love to hear some discussion.

Thanks again! from Solana Beach, CA.
Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534754 is a reply to message #534753] Thu, 08 December 2011 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
If 8i is actually V8.1.7.?, you might be able to do file level restore & then immediately start DBUA.
For me, I'd want the V8i software on target system just to ensure the DB actually opens, before attempting the upgrade.
Without opening after restore, you could not be sure later where things went wrong.
Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534755 is a reply to message #534754] Thu, 08 December 2011 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
debrucer

As the system nears seven years age, hardware becomes an issue. The complete architecture does some wild stuff, and all seems to work flawlessly; but, nobody knows if we can restore. We are fortunate to be able to look at it before it becomes a panic. Reality is that if it broke tomorrow we would need to restore to 8.1.7.0.1 on Linux. But today it is the ability to restore at all that we're testing, and for a brief moment, I suggested that it could be done to Windows and/or a newer version of the DB. They had already expressed interest in moving to MySQL or PostgreSQL. I really should not have offered the migration. Now, I will do it, for the originally quoted price... if they see what I have offered Smile
Re: restoring pre-RMAN backup [message #534777 is a reply to message #534746] Fri, 09 December 2011 01:34 Go to previous message
John Watson
Hi, man - when you plan the upgrade, remember that you CAN'T upgrade from 8i directly to 11g: you have to do it in stages, 8i to 10g then 10g to 11g. So almost certainly the best way will be to create a new database and move the schemas into it, with exp/imp.
I've never done that over such a range of releases. I would strongly advise you to test anything to do with database links, advanced queueing, and workflows. I had dreadful problems with them going from 8i to 9i.
Good luck.
Previous Topic: completed before clause
Next Topic: log file concept in oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:14:14 CDT 2024