Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install (Ubuntu 11.04 - 32bit - Oracle 10g - Application Express 2.1.0.00.39)
Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install [message #528040] Fri, 21 October 2011 05:38 Go to next message
josleeep
Hi,

I'm learning basic use of Oracle ; queries, administration and PL/SQL. I am trying to install Oracle 10g on Ubuntu 11.04. Using apt-get install oracle-xe after updating the source file for repo with : deb h t t p : / / oss.oracle.com/debian unstable main non-free and gpg key.

then I get to the /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure ..., the issue I would like someone to help with Razz is that after this step and the installation I miss all the icons such as "Backup Database", "Get Started", "Go to database home page", "Restore Database", "Start Database", "Stop Database". The "Run SQL Command Line" icon is showing.

Another issue (maybe this has to do with me) but if I connect SQLplus with system I have insuffiscient privileges with this user to start and shutdown the database...

Hope this is a new subject,

Johann

Re: Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install [message #528042 is a reply to message #528040] Fri, 21 October 2011 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Another issue (maybe this has to do with me) but if I connect SQLplus with system I have insuffiscient privileges with this user to start and shutdown the database..

If your OS account is in the dba group, then you can connect "/ as sysoper" or "/ as sysdba" to achieve these tasks.

Regards
Michel
Re: Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install [message #528051 is a reply to message #528042] Fri, 21 October 2011 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josleeep
If your OS account is in the dba group, then you can connect "/ as sysoper" or "/ as sysdba" to achieve these tasks.

Regards
Michel
[/quote]

This is what I get:

SQL> connect as sysdba
Enter user-name: system
Enter password:
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL> connect as sysoper
Enter password:
ERROR:

even with a user other than system that I have created and given dba privs on the browser GUI 127.0.0.1:8080/apex i have the same output.

Thanks,
Johann

Re: Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install [message #528063 is a reply to message #528051] Fri, 21 October 2011 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
"/" is missing.

Regards
Michel
Re: Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install [message #528149 is a reply to message #528063] Sat, 22 October 2011 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josleeep
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 21 October 2011 06:36
"/" is missing.

Regards
Michel

I go with this:

SQL> connect
Enter password:
Connected.
SQL> shutdown

Another thing I don't understand is that I can't start sqlplus from the terminal as it is said in the oracle documentation...

Thanks
Re: Linux Ubuntu strange Oracle install [message #528154 is a reply to message #528149] Sat, 22 October 2011 04:49 Go to previous message
John Watson
Do what Michel said:
orcl>
orcl> connect / as sysdba
Connected.
orcl>

And regarding your other issue,

Quote:
I can't start sqlplus from the terminal as it is said in the oracle documentation

This really doesn't give anyone any clue as to what your problem is.
Previous Topic: Problem starting Oracle EBS 11.5.10
Next Topic: Linux question, unrelated to Oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:14:45 CDT 2024