Home » Other » Training & Certification » Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle?
Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505123] Fri, 29 April 2011 10:15 Go to next message
Batr
My manager asked me if I can learn Oracle (developer suite) in one week. I don't know SQL too; however, I have some knowledge in creating databases using MS Access.

I know some, very,basic programming skills using C++.

Could you please tell me if it is possible to learn Oracle in 1 week? How much minimum time required to be a basic Oracle user?

My major is Mechanical Engineering. (just in case it will help)

Thanks in advance

[Updated on: Fri, 29 April 2011 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505130 is a reply to message #505123] Fri, 29 April 2011 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It depends on what you mean by "learning Oracle".
MS Access is a tool.
Oracle is a real professional high level RDBMS.
Just have a look at the standard Oracle documentation at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=3

Now define your profile: DBA, Developer, which langague? PL/SQL (mandatory for me)?
As you have C++ knowledge you may be interested at Oracle extensions: Pro*C, OCI, OCCI (in the documentation page above).

Regards
Michel
Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505159 is a reply to message #505130] Fri, 29 April 2011 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Batr
Thanks so much for the fast reply.

I felt my question was too vague, but I don't know much unfortunately.
I'll go through the documentation and talk with my manager, and I'll get back if I have more questions.

Just to make sure that I got what you said. Do you mean that the oracle extensions: Pro*C, OCI, OCCI will enable me to use C++ as an Oracle language?

Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505161 is a reply to message #505159] Fri, 29 April 2011 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Not exactly, it allows you to use SQL inside your C++ program to access Oracle database, not using ODBC or OLE (although your can do it) but using Oracle API which is faster and allow you far far more features.
Especially Pro*C (I advice you to start with it) that allows you to execute statement with just "EXEC SQL 'my sql statement'" directly inside your C++ program.

Regards
Michel
Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505163 is a reply to message #505161] Fri, 29 April 2011 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
My manager asked me if I can learn Oracle (developer suite) in one week

Let me share My Experience here.
I have completed My "Oracle DBA" course from NIIT in 2008.
at the time of interview,My Manager { they } need Report builder support too.
They offered me DBA/Developer if I were ready/able to learn reports 6i in 7 days of time.
I am sure If you have some programming knowledge than you can do that in 2-3 days.{Thats what I did Using Oracle report 6i documents} Smile
So ,for you 1 week is more than enough.

Good luck

ROD
Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505164 is a reply to message #505161] Fri, 29 April 2011 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Well, to give you a general estimation, I "learn Oracle" for about 12 years now and I am not even close to being finished in my opinion. Very Happy

It is possible for most people to really go through the one of the "2 Day ....." online courses in the documentation in in 2 days. But ONLY IF they already are familiar with the Operating system and have other computer related knowledge, and so don't have to learn that also as they go along.

So you can definetely do the Oracle® Database 2 Day Developer's Guide in one Week, and be able to do basic things like select data and perhaps write a few simple procedures. And, depending on how much programming experience you have, look through existing code and have a clue what it could be doing.

But most likely you won't be able to start writing a complex application from scratch right away by your own, unless you are some sort of genius.
Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505165 is a reply to message #505164] Fri, 29 April 2011 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
I "learn Oracle" for about 12 years now and I am not even close to being finished in my opinion.

Smile Good one

ROD
Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505168 is a reply to message #505123] Fri, 29 April 2011 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Batr wrote on Fri, 29 April 2011 17:15
My manager asked me if I can learn Oracle (developer suite) in one week. I don't know SQL too

"Developer suite" is, generally speaking, considered to be Forms and Reports. If someone installs it for you and you can start using it, here's some good news: both tools have wizards that can help creating basic form or report in a matter of minutes.

However, that might be VERY misleading. As you don't know Oracle SQL, Reports might suffer because what you do (when creating a report) is to write a SQL code (SELECT statement) that returns result set you want to display in a fancy manner using Reports. But, if you can't (don't know how to) write a SELECT statement (which might be rather complicated), how can you expect to create a report (except a simple "select * from emp" kind)?

Forms, on the other hand, requires knowledge of PL/SQL which is a procedural extension to SQL. Forms' triggers are FULL of PL/SQL, all kinds of it - procedures, functions, packages - you name it. PL/SQL is used in Reports too (its triggers, procedures, ...).

Therefore, it is not "Developer suite" you have to know in a week, but (at least) SQL, PL/SQL, Forms and Reports. Can you do that? My opinion is that you can not. Not because you are "stupid", God forbid!, but the fact that it is just FAR TOO MUCH to learn in such a short time.

Finally: I have a feeling that it is your manager who, actually, doesn't know what his/her question means.
Re: Newbie question: How long to learn Oracle? [message #505177 is a reply to message #505123] Fri, 29 April 2011 15:55 Go to previous message
Batr
I'm very thankful to all of you Smile

He isn't forcing me to do it; I already have other tasks to do not related to programming. However, he asked if i can take a 1 week training to learn Orcale.

From what I've read, it's near impossible for someone who doesn't know even SQL and has very basic programming knowledge to learn Oracle in one week.

I think I can do what he wants in MS Access, but I read a book called "Inside Relational Databases with Examples in Access" and the author said that MS Access was intended to be a single user application; it could work for up to 20 users (i think he meant efficiently since it won't say no for more users).
Previous Topic: OCA Dump Required
Next Topic: Improving in Pl/sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:33:38 CDT 2024