Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Apply Patches on Oracle Database with Logical Standby Database (Oracle 11g, 11.2.0.2, RHLE 5.4)
Apply Patches on Oracle Database with Logical Standby Database [message #504275] Fri, 22 April 2011 21:40 Go to next message
dbnewbie
Here I am:
I got a primary database with a logical standby database running Oracle 11g. I got two client applications, one is the production site pointing to the primary one, another one is just a backup site pointing to the logical one.Things will only be written into the primary database every mid night and client applications can only query the database but not add, update nor delete.And now, I want to apply the latest patch on both of my databases. I am also the DNS administrator, I can make the name server pointing to the backup site instead of the production one.I want to firstly apply the patch on the logical one, and then the physical one.

I found some reference which explains how to apply patches by adopting "Rolling Upgrade Method". however, I want to avoid doing any "switch over" mentioned in the reference because I can make use of name server. Can I just apply patches as the following way?

1)Stop SQL apply
2)Apply patches on logical standby database
3)let the name server point to the backup site
4)Apply patches on the primary database
5)Start SQL apply
6)Let the name server point back to the production site

Thanks in advance.
Re: Apply Patches on Oracle Database with Logical Standby Database [message #504301 is a reply to message #504275] Sat, 23 April 2011 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It depends on the nature of the patch. If it is a patch to the binaries only, you are correct. But if it is a patch to the database, then you can apply it to the primary and SQL Apply will propagate it to the standby.
Re: Apply Patches on Oracle Database with Logical Standby Database [message #504315 is a reply to message #504301] Sat, 23 April 2011 09:49 Go to previous message
dbnewbie
Thanks John.

Actually I did read the following article:
12 Using SQL Apply to Upgrade the Oracle Database
(12.5 Performing a Rolling Upgrade With an Existing Logical Standby Database)

I planned to make the name server pointing to the upgraded logcial standby databse, rather than following the steps 4 to 8 (SwitchOver) suggested in article.What I did worry about is whether there is any negative impact of not doing so.
Previous Topic: Generate log sequence 1 at standby database everyday
Next Topic: Standby redo log on Standby
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:01:56 CDT 2024