Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Need a encrypt a column data (Oracle, 10g2)
Need a encrypt a column data [message #377689] Wed, 24 December 2008 05:08 Go to next message
Bangla
I need to encrypt a column data so that any user will not be able to see the real data. How I can make it? I tried to use TDE of 10.2g but it needs wallet open and application users can not login if I encrypt password field and can't open wallet. How to do it with minimum programming.

DBMS_CRYPT? DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT?

Rather than any method so that it needs only a password to see the column value. In application to access the data I only set the password.
Re: Need a encrypt a column data [message #377691 is a reply to message #377689] Wed, 24 December 2008 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Nothing is free with encryption.
Use DBMS_CRYPTO and put the passphrase inside a CONTEXT variable, you then have to create view upon the table if you don't want to change the application otherwise you have to change the application queries to encrypt/decrypt.

Most of the time, people think they need to encrypt when they just need the data to not be seen. Encryption is the last way to investigate when nothing else worked.

Regards
Michel
Re: Need a encrypt a column data [message #377714 is a reply to message #377689] Wed, 24 December 2008 08:09 Go to previous message
ebrian
As Michel alluded to, if you just want to avoid users seeing the data then why not consider VPD.
Previous Topic: auditing is not working (merged)
Next Topic: Urgent**Hiding tables from sys/system user
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:44:06 CDT 2024