Home » Other » Community Hangout » amusing hotmail error (can't sort 38 messages)
amusing hotmail error (can't sort 38 messages) [message #358519] Tue, 11 November 2008 13:01 Go to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I just opened up my hotmail email, saw that I have 38 messages in my inbox and by default they are sorted by date in descending order. I like to read the older ones before the newer ones, otherwise I might not ever got to the older ones, so I clicked on sort and clicked on date to switch it to ascending order and received the following error message:

We aren't able to sort your messages because there are so many of them.

The search box above your messages should help you find what you're looking for.

Apparently whatever the heck hotmail is using can't handle sorting 38 messages. It makes you wonder why they even have the feature. I know it used to be able to sort more than that, so apparently this is part of their "new look" they have been promoting. Can't sort 38 messages. Incredible.

Re: amusing hotmail error (can't sort 38 messages) [message #358523 is a reply to message #358519] Tue, 11 November 2008 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps hotmailers sort messages manually, and your request came up during coffee break (so there was noone there to do the job) /forum/fa/3314/0/

Or ... huh, Hotmail belongs to Microsoft, right? Perhaps MS SQL Server isn't capable of sorting such a huge number of records? /forum/fa/1986/0/
Re: amusing hotmail error (can't sort 38 messages) [message #358602 is a reply to message #358519] Tue, 11 November 2008 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rajavu1

I haven't used my hotmail id from last 2 years. Its too heavy to load and manage . My vote goes to Gmail. Its easiest I have ever seen though its not having much option.

Btw, Hotmail belongs to Microsoft . But its founder is Sameer Bhatia.

Smile
Rajuvan.
Re: amusing hotmail error (can't sort 38 messages) [message #358709 is a reply to message #358523] Wed, 12 November 2008 04:32 Go to previous message
Frank
Littlefoot wrote on Tue, 11 November 2008 22:10
Or ... huh, Hotmail belongs to Microsoft, right? Perhaps MS SQL Server isn't capable of sorting such a huge number of records?

My bet is that they upgraded from MS SQL Server to Oracle.
Now they're stuck with performance issues, because Oracle sucks. It can't handle creation and deletion of temporary tables at runtime..
Previous Topic: deewali greets
Next Topic: Top 10 Most Expensive Accidents in History ; Titanic stands 10t
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:03:53 CDT 2024