Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Oracle 10g R2 RAC: ASM storage configuration options (Oracle 10g R2 RAC (ASM), Solaris 10)
Oracle 10g R2 RAC: ASM storage configuration options [message #329198] Tue, 24 June 2008 08:27 Go to next message
harrismg
Can someone give some input on a good way to proceed?

I'm am building an Oracle 10g R2 RAC cluster on Solaris 10 using Clusterware (not Sun 3.2), and plan on using ASM to create disk groups. I'm currently reviewing options for how to manage storage on two StorEdge 3510 array's. The storage is directly attached to two T2000 Sun servers using fiber hba.

I've usually used raw disks, but this installation will require some new elements:
1) I want to mirror the arrays and use multipathing
2) I additionally have a license for solaris volume manager and want to consider if I could successfully apply it.
3) I have an programmer who wants to run a personal program on the shared storage. He wants it to run even if one server fails.
4) I had considered putting the CRS and voting disks on shared storage, but was told CRS might not be supported with ASM/SVM option on the shared storage.

My initial thoughts were to use raw disks and stamp a portion for use by Oracle ASM. I would reserve a raw portion for the CRS and in-house program. I'm not sure if I could control the in-house program in a failover scenario.

Any thoughts on a successfull combination would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Oracle 10g R2 RAC: ASM storage configuration options [message #329211 is a reply to message #329198] Tue, 24 June 2008 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If use ASM, volume manager is not required (ASM is 'volume manager' used by Oracle).
create small raw disks for voting disk and crs.
Check docs. Exact specs are given.
>>3) I have an programmer who wants to run a personal program on the shared storage. He wants it to run even if one server fails.
If you are using Oracle clusterware ( and not sun cluster),
this personal program should have to be an oracle database.
Re: Oracle 10g R2 RAC: ASM storage configuration options [message #329269 is a reply to message #329198] Tue, 24 June 2008 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harrismg
Thanks Mahesh,

Yes, from what I had read at MetaLink it sounded similar. I'm just cautious because on another project we used sun 3.2 cluster and had a tough time integrating. I just want to make sure I build this as simple as possible to get it up and running. However, sun 3.2 cluster did have a obvious benefit of providing clresources for failing over 3rd party apps.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to best failover a in-house built program. But I'll post how it comes out.
icon8.gif  Re: Oracle 10g R2 RAC: ASM storage configuration options [message #334502 is a reply to message #329198] Wed, 16 July 2008 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harrismg
An update on the project since I see a lot of readers.
Currently, Oracles support for raw hasn't lived up to its hype. I haven't been able to get the GUI to see the multipathed disks. Metalink just answered my inquiry with "talk to your sun administrator." I've seen a lot of this from Oracle. If they certify a product on an OS then they should know HOW they certified the product on the OS. Don't push off your problems on the OS engineers! Mad
They are quick at ensuring me it will work! However, to date, they haven't supplied me with any reassuring documentation to help me past this problem. This is the second project that I have non-complete because of an issue tossed between Oracle and Sun. If anyone knows how to present fiber attached storage, raw, to clusterware for the ocr and voting disks, then please let me know. I'll be talking to my staff about trying nfs next. I have a deadline for this build soon.
Re: Oracle 10g R2 RAC: ASM storage configuration options [message #334504 is a reply to message #329198] Wed, 16 July 2008 21:16 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Every should realize the perils of a mix vendor supported configuration using Oracle RDBMS.

My motto is -

Oracle technical support doesn't!
Previous Topic: find a exact string
Next Topic: Table storing Oracle Home
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:39:17 CDT 2024