Home » Server Options » Text & interMedia » Oracle Text Performance (Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production)
Oracle Text Performance [message #670763] Tue, 24 July 2018 20:19 Go to previous message
vka2b
Hi,

This is more of a general question, and I'm using an example that I've seen on this forum before as the basis (and also used when I asked my first and only other question on this forum):

SCOTT@orcl_11gR2> SELECT SCORE(1), user_desc, emp_name
  2  FROM   emp_master, menu_user_d
  3  WHERE  CONTAINS (emp_name, '?' || REPLACE (user_desc, ' ', ',?'), 1) > 0
  4  ORDER  BY SCORE(1) DESC
  5  /

SCORE(1) USER_DESC     EMP_NAME
---------- ------------- -------------
         4 Wajahat       Wajahat
         4 Imd           Imad El Kane
         2 Mohammed Arif Md.Arif

3 rows selected.

I am doing something similar to the above for my own project, and it works just fine functionally. However, the tables I'm using (equivalent to emp_master and menu_user_d) are huge -- one of them has around 1 million records, and the other around 1 thousand. Given that the above query essentially forms a cartesian product between the two tables, with my data the performance is quite slow. I am essentially trying to convert fuzzy name matching functionality we currently have in a C++ engine to using Oracle Text instead, and in the C++ code we have various short-circuiting logic (e.g. discarding match-pairs whose initials don't match and such from the processing). I'm sure I could write some sort of UDF in PL/SQL to achieve something similar, but before re-inventing the wheel, I wanted to see if there is any built-in filtering functionality I might be missing, or any other best practices anybody can advise on -- this area isn't my expertise (my background is the C/C++ world), so I apologize in advance if this is a ridiculous question, but I'd really appreciate any pointers. Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to escape reserved words returned in column values as parameters to CONTAINS function
Next Topic: Stoplists and Nickname lists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 18:32:50 CDT 2024