Home » Server Options » Text & interMedia » How to escape reserved words returned in column values as parameters to CONTAINS function (Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production)
How to escape reserved words returned in column values as parameters to CONTAINS function [message #670323] Wed, 27 June 2018 21:52 Go to previous message
vka2b
Hello,

I have been trying to work with ORACLE TEXT, and am doing something very similar to what was contained in a thread I saw on this forum from a number of years ago (entitled "Matching query"). In that thread, Barbara Boehemer (who seems to be the celebrity around here) posted the following example of using SCORE and CONTAINS:

SCOTT@orcl_11gR2> SELECT SCORE(1), user_desc, emp_name
  2  FROM   emp_master, menu_user_d
  3  WHERE  CONTAINS (emp_name, '?' || REPLACE (user_desc, ' ', ',?'), 1) > 0
  4  ORDER  BY SCORE(1) DESC
  5  /

SCORE(1) USER_DESC     EMP_NAME
---------- ------------- -------------
         4 Wajahat       Wajahat
         4 Imd           Imad El Kane
         2 Mohammed Arif Md.Arif

3 rows selected.

The issue I am facing using the above syntax as an example is if menu_user_d.user_desc returns a value with a reserved word (e.g. "Wajahat OR"). I know how to escape reserved words if explicitly stating them within the function by using curly braces (e.g. CONTAINS (emp_name, '?' || REPLACE ({OR}, ' ', ',?'), 1) > 0)), but I can't seem to figure out how to manage reserved words if they are passed to CONTAINS in the value returned from a column referenced in the CONTAINS function. The error I receive is as follows:

ORA-29902: error in executing ODCIIndexStart() routine
ORA-20000: Oracle Text error:
DRG-50901: text query parser syntax error on line 1, column 2
29902. 00000 - "error in executing ODCIIndexStart() routine"
*Cause: The execution of ODCIIndexStart routine caused an error.
*Action: Examine the error messages produced by the indextype code and
take appropriate action.

I thought perhaps I could manage it through stoplists, but it turns out that "OR" is already contained in the default stoplist, and it therefore should have been ignored when I created an index against the table in question. I can't seem to figure this out -- any advice anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Need to get the one specific record with 's
Next Topic: Oracle Text Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 04:41:28 CDT 2024