Home » Other » Community Hangout » DBA's nightmares (Would it matter? LOL!?!)
DBA's nightmares [message #627693] Fri, 14 November 2014 10:52 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Okay, it's just another friday. But, not everyday it happens that a severity/priority 1 issue is raised(1 being highest).

A customer raises a serious concern about data being not populated after numerous attempts of executing an INSERT statement via SQL*Plus. Customer's DBA was involved before reaching us, and they had no luck. A call was setup immediately, and the discussion starts. Customer's DBA states that he checked every possible thing and that Oracle 12c has a bug, when data is inserted via SQL*Plus, it never shows up in the application. But, when it's done through the application using SAVE button it is fine. And then discussion goes into fine grained auditing etc. Everybody on the call shows their concern. My manager raises his eyebrow, staring at me as if he is concerned too(all fake, he doesn't even know what's going on). Customer claims it to be an issue with RAC, as they never encountered such issue before migrating to RAC.

I was forced to look into what went wrong with RAC DB settings. The SLA was already compromised because of the severity+priority of the issue(SLA for such cases is hardly few minutes). So, my manager goes wild, and for my sake, he said something which caught my ears. He said "Why not just force Oracle to commit to insert the data into database and blah blah blah....". It just clicked me about the session commit, I asked the customer whether he did a commit after the insert statement was executed. "What do you mean?" was his reply. I repeated myself, whether you did a commit or not? Asked the same question to their DBA, and then, there was a complete silence for almost a minute. I asked again on call, and then an unknown person speaks out. This unknown person, the actual developer(later we came to know he is an intern at customer's side) who raised the issue, speaks up. He said "I just did what Bob(his manager) said, i.e. to insert a new record and see if the reports are still screwed(for whatever reason). I lost my patience and pitched in the call, asked this STUPID developer if he issued COMMIT or not. Once again, after a silence of few seconds, there comes an answer, "NO".

And next I heard my manager shouting NO NO NO...., WTF... Next 2 minutes over the call was between my manager and the customer, and then call ended.

Okay, I think it's a long story, but WTF. I am still wondering who is going to lose their job, the developer or his DBA. I am still thinking if I did a great job asking the silly question about COMMIT. But, it happened so. I am back home now. Can't believe what happened today. Sigh!

Has anyone of you ever had such pathetic experience?

P.S. Today(November, 14th) is children's day celebrated in India. Folks on call who have kids, wasted their time on this useless issue. God bless them!

[Updated on: Fri, 14 November 2014 11:33]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Wordpress Blog - SQL ouput formatting