Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » what is the advantage to using RMAN in Oracle 11g Standard Edition (oracle 11g r2 on windows 2008 r2)
what is the advantage to using RMAN in Oracle 11g Standard Edition [message #582198] Mon, 15 April 2013 11:51 Go to previous message
bettyp106
Hi all,

We are upgrading from oracle 9.2.0.8 to 11g r2, and both are Standard Edition database. The database is part of a product that runs on a customer site, and won't get bigger than 50 GB. It runs in archive mode, and our backup script does a hot backup every night, plus copying the archive logs, redos, controlfiles, etc. We save 2 entire backups - from the last night plus the night before last. Then there's a tape backup that saves the backed-up files to an off-server location.

This architecture has allowed us to recover our customer's data from many odd occurrences at customer sites (power loss during a hot backup, corrupt controlfiles/datafiles/archivelogs). My question is, given that we are running the Standard Edition database, which doesn't have most of the helpful RMAN features, is it worth it to switch to RMAN?

I took an Oracle Backup and Recovery class and posed this question to the instructor, and the response was, it would be better to use RMAN over a manual user backup script. Our backup script is pretty battle-hardened - is that the best reason?

Also having trouble finding documentation that tells exactly what the standard edition DOES allow me to do.

Sorry so long-winded - trying to include everything in the first shot at this. Any help is VERY appreciated!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: how to do replication of an instance into another one
Next Topic: Database Recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:52:23 CDT 2024