Home » Server Options » Replication » migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC (Oracle database 12.1.0.2 Linux)
migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667586] Sat, 06 January 2018 21:51 Go to next message
philipebe
Hi,

We have Oracle 12.1.0.2 CDB with 1 PDB database running on a 3-node RAC on Linux 6.9.
Our migration project is to migrate this database to a new Linux server with the latest supported version (7.4 or later) for Oracle 12.2
And we are migrating this current RAC CDB database to the new Linux server as non-RAC and nonCDB database.
We currently dont have GoldenGate or DataGuard.
But our plans are to migrate the database to the new 12.2 Oracle Home on a different Linux server either using RMAN clone/duplicate or by dpump.
Would appreciate your suggestions on what would be a good road map to do this database migration and upgrade to a nonCDB nonRAC database with the least Production downtime.

Thanks in advance.
Philip.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667587 is a reply to message #667586] Sun, 07 January 2018 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Database Upgrade Guide

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667588 is a reply to message #667587] Sun, 07 January 2018 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Note the 8.1.1 section Deprecation of Non-CDB Architecture

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667589 is a reply to message #667586] Sun, 07 January 2018 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
we are migrating this current RAC CDB database to the new Linux server as non-RAC and nonCDB database.
THe conversion from RAC to non-RAC on a new machine is simple to do with an RMAN duplicate, you can do the upgrade to 12.2 as part of the operation. The conversion to non-CDB (which not a good idea) is not possible unless you do it with Data Pump.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 January 2018 03:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667604 is a reply to message #667588] Mon, 08 January 2018 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
Michael,

Thanks for pointing me to the non-CDB architecture deprecation.
I read the document from your link and since non-CDB is only deprecated and not de-supported, i believe we can still use the non-CDB in 12.2 and as long as non-CDB is not de-supported, which may not happen for a long time.
And since some features dont work in CDB, i believe Oracle needs to support non-CDB for customers to be able to use the features they need.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667605 is a reply to message #667589] Mon, 08 January 2018 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
John,

So if we decide to stick with CDB architecture for the upgrade to our 12.2 non-RAC from our current 12.1 RAC.
Can we then install the 12.2 Oracle binaries in the new Linux server, create the pfile for the target database from the source as non-RAC,
and then run the RMAN command to do active duplicate to clone the database in our new 12.2 Oracle Home without taking a backup of the source?
Would RMAN duplicate work between source database with 12.1 Oracle Home binaries and target database home with 12.2 binaries?
Can you please point any document links for a self-study?

Thanks.
Philip.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667606 is a reply to message #667589] Mon, 08 January 2018 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
John Watson wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 03:39
Quote:
we are migrating this current RAC CDB database to the new Linux server as non-RAC and nonCDB database.
THe conversion from RAC to non-RAC on a new machine is simple to do with an RMAN duplicate, you can do the upgrade to 12.2 as part of the operation. The conversion to non-CDB (which not a good idea) is not possible unless you do it with Data Pump.

John,

So if we decide to stick with CDB architecture for the upgrade to our 12.2 non-RAC from our current 12.1 RAC.
Can we then install the 12.2 Oracle binaries in the new Linux server, create the pfile for the target database from the source as non-RAC,
and then run the RMAN command to do active duplicate to clone the database in our new 12.2 Oracle Home without taking a backup of the source?
Would RMAN duplicate work between source database with 12.1 Oracle Home binaries and target database home with 12.2 binaries?
Can you please point any document links for a self-study?

Thanks.
Philip.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667607 is a reply to message #667588] Mon, 08 January 2018 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
Michel Cadot wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 01:45

Note the 8.1.1 section Deprecation of Non-CDB Architecture

Michael,

Thanks for pointing me to the non-CDB architecture deprecation.
I read the document from your link and since non-CDB is only deprecated and not de-supported, i believe we can still use the non-CDB in 12.2 and as long as non-CDB is not de-supported, which may not happen for a long time.
And since some features dont work in CDB, i believe Oracle needs to support non-CDB for customers to be able to use the features they need.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667608 is a reply to message #667606] Mon, 08 January 2018 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It is just a perfectly normal duplication, except you include the NOOPEN keyword. Then upgrade as usual. I'm sure it is all in the docs somewhere.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667609 is a reply to message #667608] Mon, 08 January 2018 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
John Watson wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 09:35
It is just a perfectly normal duplication, except you include the NOOPEN keyword. Then upgrade as usual. I'm sure it is all in the docs somewhere.
Yes i see that in the document.
Thanks.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667610 is a reply to message #667607] Mon, 08 January 2018 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You can also (and this is the way I'd choose) install a 12.1 in the new server, restore the database in this version and use Upgrading with Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant or Manually Upgrading a Non-CDB Oracle Database.

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667611 is a reply to message #667610] Mon, 08 January 2018 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 10:32

You can also (and this is the way I'd choose) install a 12.1 in the new server, restore the database in this version and use Upgrading with Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant or Manually Upgrading a Non-CDB Oracle Database.

But for me to restore the database in same version 12.1 on the new Linux server, the database has to be in CDB architecture, correct? since the source is CDB.
And if i am going to do a database restore to another server as CDB, can i not install in the new database home version 12.2 and restore the database using RMAN into this new Oracle Home and do the upgrade?
any challenges in restoring database from 12.1 to 12.2 in a new linux server?
Since our requirement is from CDB RAC to nonCDB nonRAC on to a new linux server with latest linux version, i think the only option is by dpump.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667612 is a reply to message #667611] Mon, 08 January 2018 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Data Pump is surely in this case the simplest way and simplest most of the time means safest.
So, yes, if your database is not big, use Data Pump.
What is the size of the database?

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667615 is a reply to message #667612] Mon, 08 January 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 12:58

Data Pump is surely in this case the simplest way and simplest most of the time means safest.
So, yes, if your database is not big, use Data Pump.
What is the size of the database?

The database is 1.5 TB in size.
And because of migration and upgrade from 12.1 RAC, CDB to 12.2 noNRAC, nonCDB to a different server,
i thought the only option is dpump.
But i understand if it is datapump, then there is a huge Prod downtime during this export from current Prod and import into new Prod,
and configuring all the apps to point to the new Prod.
Not sure if there is another way to have the least Production downtime.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 January 2018 13:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667617 is a reply to message #667615] Mon, 08 January 2018 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

The problem with Data Pump is that it is slow even if you can afford a lot of parallelism (CPU and io), and it requires a lot of disk space for the dump unless you can do it in one pass through SQL*Net but then it will take much more time.

Maybe you can first create a non-CDB database on the target server and release then use transportable table to move your schemes from the current database. The documentation states:

Quote:
You cannot export transportable tablespaces and then import them into a database at a lower release level. The target database must be at the same or later release level as the source database.

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667619 is a reply to message #667617] Mon, 08 January 2018 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philipebe
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 08 January 2018 13:45

The problem with Data Pump is that it is slow even if you can afford a lot of parallelism (CPU and io), and it requires a lot of disk space for the dump unless you can do it in one pass through SQL*Net but then it will take much more time.

Maybe you can first create a non-CDB database on the target server and release then use transportable table to move your schemes from the current database. The documentation states:

Quote:
You cannot export transportable tablespaces and then import them into a database at a lower release level. The target database must be at the same or later release level as the source database.
Agree with the data pump, but since we are moving from CDB to non-CDB, we dont have a choice, dpump looks like the only option.
Because if we use RMAN, then it would have to be CDB to CDB, as far as i know.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667624 is a reply to message #667619] Tue, 09 January 2018 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I think we covered all possible solutions, now pick the one you think will be better in your environment.

Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667629 is a reply to message #667619] Tue, 09 January 2018 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Just one last point - are you sure that you really want to convert to non-CDB? This is against all advice, and is constraining your options.

Note that we have been told that non-CDB may be de-supported after release 12.2. The next release, Oracle 18, is due out in seven days. Will it support non-CDB? We do not yet know.
Re: migrate to different Linux server and upgrade database from 12.1 CDB RAC to 12.2 non-CDB non-RAC [message #667650 is a reply to message #667629] Tue, 09 January 2018 08:36 Go to previous message
philipebe
John Watson wrote on Tue, 09 January 2018 01:57
Just one last point - are you sure that you really want to convert to non-CDB? This is against all advice, and is constraining your options.

Note that we have been told that non-CDB may be de-supported after release 12.2. The next release, Oracle 18, is due out in seven days. Will it support non-CDB? We do not yet know.
The team here knows the consequence of converting to non-CDB in 12.2 and they are ok with converting back to CDB if the future releases force it.
But even the oracle document mentioned that there are features that dont exist in CDB, and i believe Oracle has to provide the support as long as those features not supported in CDB.

Thanks for your inputs and suggestions. I have a better understanding of the current situation.
And as a final thought, i don't see any other option except for dpump, since this is a CDB to nonCDB conversion.
Previous Topic: refresh data on target database...everytime there is data change at the source database
Next Topic: Oracle Golden Gate replication
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:33:24 CDT 2024