Home » Other » Client Tools » oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc
oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665335] Thu, 31 August 2017 03:06 Go to next message
adil shakeel
Hi all,
I am using oracle 10g xe Edition,

I want to ask which "Oracle Configuration Tool" should be used for making connection of oracle database installed onto the server, so that it runs onto the other client PCs which are connected to that Server.

The client systems have only form builders+form runtime plus reports builders+report runtime / compilers.

I have a wired network.

Please guide me with full procedure as how to generate the TNSNAMES.ORA file for client pcs and whether to use SQL Developer or any other tool like toad etc?

Please guide me.

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665340 is a reply to message #665335] Thu, 31 August 2017 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You can create a tnsnames.ora file with either the netca or the netmgr GUIs.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665341 is a reply to message #665340] Thu, 31 August 2017 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
sir I am new to oracel and I am not familiar with netca or netmgr GUIs.
Please guide a little please I am really worried becuase my client is asking again and again to run software onto to the client machines but When I access software from client machine it gives error
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination.

Please guide me how to get these tools and how to create the TNSNAMES.ORA FILE FOR CLIENTS.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665344 is a reply to message #665341] Thu, 31 August 2017 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Adil, these are simple tools with which anyone working with Oracle should be familiar. If you are not, you should perhaps consider whether to inform your client that you need assistance to carry out this task.

If you can't find the tools (where have you looked?) then you'll have to create the tnsnames.ora file by hand. There should be one in your Oracle XE home that you can use as a template. It might even function unchanged.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665345 is a reply to message #665344] Thu, 31 August 2017 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ find $ORACLE_HOME -name tnsnames.ora -ls
796206 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 753 May 19 16:30 /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2/db_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
788617 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 2939 Feb 13 1997 /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2/db_1/network/admin/samples/tnsnames.ora
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$

tnsnames.ora is just a plain text file that can be created using any vanilla text editor; such as notepad or wordpad.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665414 is a reply to message #665345] Tue, 05 September 2017 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
sir I have 2 questions.
1. whether these applications like "netca" is built-in into the system on which oracle is installed? is it so? If so then at what location this file would be available into the server machine? I have searched that netca in the programms in the START MENUE but i did not find.

Plus my second question is that for creation of tnsnames.ora file for oracle 10g express edition it just copied the tnsnames.ora file for mapping of same machine.

But which i put that tnsnames.ora file onto the client, then it gave error ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665415 is a reply to message #665414] Tue, 05 September 2017 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
Or I think if I am making a mistake as to create the listener file which resides into the server system? Whether should I make some changes to that listerner file too, so as to run it successfully?????? If so then please also guide me about the changes to be made.

Second Option:

I addition to it, I have another option into my mind for solving this client issue.
that is :

Should I put the whole text of that TNSNAMES.ORA FILE HERE? And anyone please change it so that it fits for the client PC?
If it is possible for you then should I put the whole internal text of the tnsnames.ora here????????
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665418 is a reply to message #665415] Tue, 05 September 2017 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
adil shakeel wrote on Tue, 05 September 2017 05:45
Or I think if I am making a mistake as to create the listener file which resides into the server system? Whether should I make some changes to that listerner file too, so as to run it successfully?????? If so then please also guide me about the changes to be made.
Why do you think you need to change the listener.ora at all? Most likely you don't even need it. The listener will quite happily start without a listner.ora and will use all default values, which is sufficient for 99% of all installations.

Show us the output of 'lsnrctl status', as executed on the database server.

Quote:

Second Option:

I addition to it, I have another option into my mind for solving this client issue.
that is :

Should I put the whole text of that TNSNAMES.ORA FILE HERE? And anyone please change it so that it fits for the client PC?
If it is possible for you then should I put the whole internal text of the tnsnames.ora here????????
To properly "fix" your tnsnames, we'd have to know about the rest of your network. But if you show it, and the output of 'lsnrctl status', we can probably help.

Please note that no one is going to do your job for you, but we will gladly try to help you to learn to do it for yourself.

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665424 is a reply to message #665418] Tue, 05 September 2017 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
Quote:
we'd have to know about the rest of your network
Quote:
What details I have to provide further?

Should I show you the WHOLE TEXT OF tnsnames.ora file? which resides into the server?
I so then I dont have any issue in disclosing that code out.

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665438 is a reply to message #665335] Tue, 05 September 2017 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
adil shakeel wrote on Thu, 31 August 2017 01:06

The client systems have only form builders+form runtime plus reports builders+report runtime / compilers.

Please guide me.

Which versions of Forms & Reports are installed on the client systems?
Are these utilities fully operational on the client systems?
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665452 is a reply to message #665424] Wed, 06 September 2017 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
adil shakeel wrote on Tue, 05 September 2017 08:19
Quote:
we'd have to know about the rest of your network
Quote:
What details I have to provide further?

Should I show you the WHOLE TEXT OF tnsnames.ora file? which resides into the server?
I so then I dont have any issue in disclosing that code out.

What details to provide?
Like I said, "Show us the output of 'lsnrctl status', as executed on the database server."
And "show us your tnsnames.ora".
And, on further review of this entire thread, the most fundamental thing of all -- an actual error message that you get from a failed connection.

As for your original question of "I want to ask which "Oracle Configuration Tool" should be used for making connection of oracle database installed onto the server, so that it runs onto the other client PCs which are connected to that Server.", the only "tool" you really need is a simple text editor like notepad. All of the oracle network connectivity configuration is in three files - listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora. listener.ora applies only on the server running the listener and is most likely not needed. sqlnet.ora is used on both server and client, and tnsnames.ora is used only by client processes. And all are clear-text files that can be maintainted with a simple text editor. I can't remember the last time I used netca, though it can be useful to get you started. YOu said you couldn't find netca, but it looks like you didn't look very well. Instead of "looking" where you think it should be, try using the search capability native to your OS. It's possible it did not get installed with a windows client, depending on what type of client (instant, runtime, admin) was installed. In any event, it WILL be on the db server. And since all it produces are simple text files, there is nothing to prevent you from using it there to create a tnsnames.ora that you can the manually edit (if necessary) and copy to the client.

You might find this article useful to give you a better framework of understanding. http://edstevensdba.com/oracle-tns/help-i-cant-connect-to-my-oracle-database/
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665453 is a reply to message #665438] Wed, 06 September 2017 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
I am using Oracle forms and reports 6i

Please any one help me I am realy worried due to client pressure.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665486 is a reply to message #665452] Thu, 07 September 2017 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
The following error is showing

TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

the following is the whole text of the tnsnames.ora file of the server on which oracle is installed and on which PC there is no issue onto the server side. Here is the text of it

XE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SERVER)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC_FOR_XE))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = CLRExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

I Pasted this file onto the client location at the following place C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\

But the client shows the above error.

If above rest procedure of copying onto the client pc is then further Whether should I make some changes to the sqlnet also?

Please guide me.

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665489 is a reply to message #665486] Thu, 07 September 2017 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
adil shakeel wrote on Thu, 07 September 2017 04:27
The following error is showing

the following is the whole text of the tnsnames.ora file of the server on which oracle is installed and on which PC there is no issue onto the server side. Here is the text of it

XE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SERVER)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = XE)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = CLRExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

I Pasted this file onto the client location at the following place C:\orant\NET80\ADMIN\

But the client shows the above error.

If above rest procedure of copying onto the client pc is then further Whether should I make some changes to the sqlnet also?

Please guide me.

For the third, and last time ...

SHOW THE OUTPUT OF 'lsnrctl statuss', EXECUTED ON THE DATABASE SERVER.

I can't help those who ignore requests for information that is vital to solving the problem.

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665495 is a reply to message #665489] Thu, 07 September 2017 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
SIR HOW TO GET THE OUTPUT OF THIS 'lsnrctl' status???????????
Sir where should I write this command lsnrctl ?
in CMD OR IN SQL*PLUS ?
How to show / check this status of lsnrctl executed on DATABASE SERVER?
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665496 is a reply to message #665495] Thu, 07 September 2017 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 12.2.0.1.0 - Production on 07-SEP-2017 08:45:31

Copyright (c) 1991, 2016, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 12.2.0.1.0 - Production
Start Date                29-AUG-2017 10:10:11
Uptime                    8 days 22 hr. 35 min. 20 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP                      OFF
Default Service           orcl12c
Listener Parameter File   /u01/app/oracle/product/12.2/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
Listener Log File         /u01/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/vbgeneric/listener/alert/log.xml
Listening Endpoints Summary...
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=vbgeneric)(PORT=8081))(Presentation=HTTP)(Session=RAW))
Services Summary...
Service "49bff8a6bb912582e0530100007f8be4" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "orcl12c", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "4fe762cf3c871a73e0530100007ff9fb" has 1 instance(s).
Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
Service "orcl12c" has 2 instance(s).
  Instance "orcl12c", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "orcl12cXDB" has 1 instance(s).
Service "ords" has 1 instance(s).
The command completed successfully
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ lsnrctl service

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 12.2.0.1.0 - Production on 07-SEP-2017 08:45:43

Copyright (c) 1991, 2016, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
Services Summary...
Service "49bff8a6bb912582e0530100007f8be4" has 1 instance(s).
    Handler(s):
      "DEDICATED" established:8 refused:0 state:ready
         LOCAL SERVER
Service "4fe762cf3c871a73e0530100007ff9fb" has 1 instance(s).
    Handler(s):
         LOCAL SERVER
Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
    Handler(s):
         LOCAL SERVER
Service "orcl12c" has 2 instance(s).
  Instance "orcl12c", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Handler(s):
      "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
         LOCAL SERVER
    Handler(s):
         LOCAL SERVER
Service "orcl12cXDB" has 1 instance(s).
    Handler(s):
      "D000" established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:1022 state:ready
         DISPATCHER <machine: vbgeneric, pid: 2983>
         (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=vbgeneric)(PORT=52831))
Service "ords" has 1 instance(s).
    Handler(s):
         LOCAL SERVER
The command completed successfully
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ 

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665502 is a reply to message #665496] Thu, 07 September 2017 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
sir this is the status of lsnrctl status

check the attachement
  • Attachment: Untitled.png
    (Size: 146.33KB, Downloaded 1804 times)
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665503 is a reply to message #665502] Thu, 07 September 2017 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You may need to sort your IP addresses and name resolution. To what address does the name "server" resolve? On the the database machine and on the client machine(s)?
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665505 is a reply to message #665502] Thu, 07 September 2017 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
adil shakeel wrote on Thu, 07 September 2017 09:02
sir this is the status of lsnrctl status

check the attachement
the results from lsnrctl status shows the fully qualified pathname from the listener log file.
Every connection request that gets to the listener is written to this file

post the excerpt from this file that shows/contains the 12203 status code thrown by the listener.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665515 is a reply to message #665505] Fri, 08 September 2017 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
You can copy and paste from cmd, which is a far better way of posting the results than a screen grab.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665532 is a reply to message #665515] Sat, 09 September 2017 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
Sir here is some mistake into my posts that is described below:

earlier I wrote the error coming

But now I have re-checked then I came to know that error is not as I mentioned above.

The actual error is below the correct one

ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

it means the ORA error is shown onto the client system.

Please guide me know
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665533 is a reply to message #665532] Sat, 09 September 2017 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
The errors TNS-12203 & ORA-12203 are the same!

[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ oerr tns 12203
12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"
// *Cause: Invalid address specified or destination is not listening.
// This error can also occur because of underlying network or network
// transport problems.
// *Action: Verify that the net service name you entered was correct.
// Verify that the ADDRESS portion of the connect descriptor which
// corresponds to the net service name is correct.  Ensure that the
// destination process (for example the listener) is running at the
// remote node.
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ oerr ora 12203
12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"
// *Cause: Invalid address specified or destination is not listening.
// This error can also occur because of underlying network or network
// transport problems.
// *Action: Verify that the net service name you entered was correct.
// Verify that the ADDRESS portion of the connect descriptor which
// corresponds to the net service name is correct.  Ensure that the
// destination process (for example the listener) is running at the
// remote node.
[oracle@vbgeneric ~]$ 

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665534 is a reply to message #665532] Sat, 09 September 2017 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
Quote:
You may need to sort your IP addresses and name resolution. To what address does the name "server" resolve? On the the database machine and on the client machine(s)?

How to sort ip address and name resolution?

what do you mean by "Name Server resolve"
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665535 is a reply to message #665534] Sat, 09 September 2017 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
So finally just guide me how should I resolve this big issue I am since almost one month.?

Or should I quit this oracle field?
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665536 is a reply to message #665535] Sat, 09 September 2017 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
adil shakeel wrote on Fri, 08 September 2017 23:11
So finally just guide me how should I resolve this big issue I am since almost one month.?

Yes, please do so.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665537 is a reply to message #665535] Sat, 09 September 2017 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
adil shakeel wrote on Sat, 09 September 2017 07:11

I don't think you have started in this field yet Smile It is not really possible to work in database administration unless you already have some knowledge of system administration, in this case a basic understanding of tcp/ip networking fundamentals. You have some studying to do! Enjoy the journey. It will interest you for the rest of your working life.
Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665540 is a reply to message #665537] Sat, 09 September 2017 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adil shakeel
No sir.
I am into the practicle field of Oracle development since October-2016.
But since then I was working on a single machine.
And now I have entered into this field professionally.
I have two clients also.
Now I just want to run same oracle database not only onto the server, but also on the client machines too.
But its not happening.
I am searching google and here and there but no success so far.
GETTING ERROR ONTO THE CLIENT MACHINE ORA-12203.
I love this field of development and wanna to grow day by day but lots of problems being faced by me.
I want a platform on which I might be able to develop my skills and to start working professionally.
In addition to your knowledge Basically I am a finance student, and do not have the base of I.T.

Re: oracle configuration tools to be used for server database connection with client pc [message #665550 is a reply to message #665540] Sun, 10 September 2017 06:37 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Quote:
In addition to your knowledge Basically I am a finance student, and do not have the base of I.T.
Quote:
I have two clients also.
I'm sorry, but a few months of self-study does not even come close to qualifying one to be taking on clients. If I were your client and knew this, I'd be suing to take back what I've already paid you, because you have mis-represented yourself.
Previous Topic: Oracle Error: ORA-24816: Expanded non LONG bind data supplied after actual LONG or LOB column (merged 2)
Next Topic: distribute voucher's edit rights + voucher delete rights + vocucher entering rights in mutiuser envr
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:36:30 CDT 2024