Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Getting errors when starting listener (HP-UX B.11.00 )
Re: Getting errors when starting listener [message #660420 is a reply to message #660419] Thu, 16 February 2017 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You can try, it might work. But I suspect that more has happened than you think.

For example, the queries against those v$ views show that your control file believes that you have 4 online logfile groups,
each with just one member. Two groups have members in /oracle/AMP/origlogB and the other two have members in /oracle/AMP/origlogA.
This separation is a pointless complication, but not a technical issue.

However, your directory listings suggest that you have 4 online logfile groups (OK so far) each of which has 2 members, one in
each directory. That would be a much better way of organizing things, but is incompatible with the controlfile.

All I can conclude is that someone has been trying to fix things but has actually broken them. I could possibly solve this problem
either by sorting out what happened and recreating the controlfile to reflect reality, or by using some undocumented techniques
to open the database with a corrupt redo log. However, I do not think I can talk someone through this in a forum. It is too complicated.

Perhaps someone else will feel up to attempting to help further, but I think you need to hire a consultant. A good one.
It won't take him long, but he won't be able to guarantee success in advance. I know, because I've had to sort out this kind of thing
for clients a few times.

Re: Getting errors when starting listener [message #660421 is a reply to message #660420] Thu, 16 February 2017 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
may you please kindly confirm if we can rename the original online log and move the old ones back to its location
You can, backing up the current ones before; will this solve the problem? I doubt.

Edit: Sorry, John, I didn't see your answer which is in another page.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 February 2017 03:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Getting errors when starting listener [message #660422 is a reply to message #660420] Thu, 16 February 2017 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I do not think I can talk someone through this in a forum. It is too complicated.
I agree.

Quote:
but I think you need to hire a consultant. A good one.
I concur.

Re: Getting errors when starting listener [message #660423 is a reply to message #660422] Thu, 16 February 2017 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
But look on the bright side - it might work. You've nothing to lose, so long as you have a backup of the current position.
Re: Getting errors when starting listener [message #660425 is a reply to message #660423] Thu, 16 February 2017 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tsar
Thank you so so much John and the team for taking me through up to this far, I really appreciate your help.

As for now I will try and and back up the current one and see where it takes me to.

As you have said I must "look on the bright side"
Re: Getting errors when starting listener [message #660437 is a reply to message #660423] Thu, 16 February 2017 07:02 Go to previous message
tsar
once again thank u so much John it worked all looks good
Previous Topic: ./dbstart: test: argument expected
Next Topic: Function call in Unix to assign value to a refcursor variable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:15:58 CDT 2024