Home » Infrastructure » Cloud and Hosting » Planning to move existing oracle DB to cloud (Oracle 11gR2)
Planning to move existing oracle DB to cloud [message #649625] Fri, 01 April 2016 06:37 Go to next message
naveenjv
Hi Experts,

I am a SQL Server guy having 10+ years of experience, but very new to Oracle. I have been asked to do some R&D on data security in oracle. We have a very huge data on Oracle 11gR2. We are planning to move to cloud environment.
Since data is very critical and confidential, we wanted to secure it at any cost without any performance issues with the application. We cloud DBAs also should not be able to see the data.

Can any expert suggest procedure to follow.
I have already done some R&D on Transparent Data Encryption at Tablespace level. I don't think it is sufficient to protect the data?

Let me know your expert opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Naveen
Re: Planning to move existing oracle DB to cloud [message #649627 is a reply to message #649625] Fri, 01 April 2016 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Clouding and securing are 2 conflicting requirements.
The minimum are tablespace encryption, backup encryption, network encryption, database vault, audit vault...

Re: Planning to move existing oracle DB to cloud [message #649628 is a reply to message #649625] Fri, 01 April 2016 07:28 Go to previous message
EdStevens
naveenjv wrote on Fri, 01 April 2016 06:37
we wanted to secure it at any cost without any performance issues with the application. We cloud DBAs also should not be able to see the data.

"At any cost"?
I can almost guarantee management will change that when they see the actual cost of what they are asking for.

And as Michel Cadot said, clouding and security are mutually exclusive. As we used to say when I worked for an organization with high security requirements "Ultimately, the guy who can put his finger on the server's power button owns your data."
Previous Topic: Trace of calls made by OSB module for cloud backup to S3
Next Topic: Cloud backup data protection advice please..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:37:40 CDT 2024