Home » Non-English Forums » Japanese » how to change the database language to JAPANESE
how to change the database language to JAPANESE [message #366070] Wed, 01 November 2000 03:44 Go to next message
Arunava Maity
Hi all,
Please help me out.How to change the database language to japanese.
thanx in advance
Re: how to change the database language to JAPANESE [message #366078 is a reply to message #366070] Tue, 07 November 2000 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indira Morishetty
Hope the following procedure may help you. Some time back I changed my DB character set from US7ASCII to UTF8 which supports Japanese.

Constraint here is that the new character set should be the super set of old character set.

In the above case, UTF8 is super set of US7ASCII, So I could do it.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- Normal
STARTUP MOUNT;
ALTER SYSTEM ENABLE RESTRICED SESSION;
ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0;
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET new_character_set_name; -- Do not enclose the character set in quotes
ALTER DATABASE NATIONAL CHARACTER SET new_character_set_name; -- Do not enclose the character set in quotes
SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE; -- or NORMAL
STARTUP;

Indira Morishetty
Hyderabad
India
Re: how to change the database language to JAPANESE [message #366113 is a reply to message #366070] Thu, 23 November 2000 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Srinivas Voruganti
Does the same procedure holds good for other languages too?
I would appreciate if u can offer yr renarks.
Thx
Srinivas
Denver,CO
USA
Re: how to change the database language to JAPANESE [message #366114 is a reply to message #366113] Thu, 23 November 2000 01:38 Go to previous message
Indira Morishetty
I think I mentioned the constraint clearly in my previous reply. If the situation supports that condition, you can definitely do that.

And the new character set is going to be applicable for new insertions only.
Next Topic: Inserting Japanese data into Oracle via VB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:59:40 CDT 2024