Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » Database design for scheduling system
Database design for scheduling system [message #90741] Wed, 06 October 2004 04:47 Go to next message
Tim Kness
I am looking to create a planned maintenance system as part of my final year dissertation for university and would much appreciate some advice regarding the scheduling algorithm.

I have been looking into how to schedule maintenance jobs on a x weekly (eg unit 24 to be maintained every 2 weeks for 6 months with start and finish dates) occurance however have found very little information as to how to do this in Oracle.  I have decided on the design for the stock control side of the database etc however am stuck with how the design should be for scheduling recurring jobs.  I would be very grateful if anyone can either point me in the right direction for finding out or even to provide a possible algorithm or table structure.

The database design needs to provide tha ability to schedule a job number to occur on say a two weekly cycle till a specified end date.  I should then be able to each week run a query to find out what jobs are to be done for the current week.

I am using Oracle 8i on windows XP although being a development project I can make changes.  Cheers.
Re: Database design for scheduling system [message #90773 is a reply to message #90741] Tue, 16 November 2004 02:47 Go to previous message
Ray
There is a site that talks about scheduling in general and some formulas for working out an optimal schedule. It is based a manufacturing discipline.

There is also a scheduling system architecture near the end if its of any use. here's the site:

www-is.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~sauer/paper/scheduling.html
Previous Topic: Oracle 9i Designer Repository
Next Topic: contact mechanisms and addresses
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:25:54 CDT 2024