Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » DB design question
DB design question [message #90663] Fri, 09 July 2004 06:10 Go to next message
Nick
I am trying to model tables to represent the foll:-

A bundle product which is a group of individual products. The individual products have their own life cycle . The bundle is only meant for pricing. There are standard bundle offerings and the customer has the option of building his custom bundle.

An order can consist of individual produts as well as bundles.

How can I model this in tables?

Thanks,
Re: DB design question [message #90667 is a reply to message #90663] Tue, 13 July 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DCVData
Based on what I gather from your question, here is what I see as a 'logical' model start.

Order
Bundles, Products
Bundle
Products
Bundle Type - Standard, Custom
Product
Life Cycle

Hope this helps.

DCV
Re: DB design question [message #90669 is a reply to message #90663] Wed, 14 July 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick
Thanks for your reply DCV.
Here are some more details .....

I am trying to model tables to represent the foll:-

A bundle product which is a group of individual products. The individual products have their own life cycle. The bundle is only meant for
pricing. There are standard bundle offerings and the customers has the option of building their own custom bundles.

An order can consist of individual produts as well as standard and or custom bundles.

The solution that I could think of is as follows:-

Create table product(product_id varchar2(10), product_name varchar2(10)) /* to hold product definition, standard bundle products have
distinct product ids just like individual products. All custom bundle products have the same product id.*/

Create table standard_bundle ( bundle_id varchar2(10) , product_id varchar2(10)) /* Make up of the pre-defined standard bundle products */

Create table Orders(Order_Id varchar2(10), Client_id varchar2(10)); /*Main order table */

Create table Order_Details ( Order_Id varchar2(10), Item_No number, parent_item_no number, product varchar2(10) ) /* An line item can be a
individual product , a product that is part of a bundle or a bundle product. If it is part of a bundle then the column parent_item_no
will hold the item number of the bundle product to which it belongs . Otherwise it will be a null field. .*/

Any critique is welcome.

Thanks,
Nick
Re: DB design question [message #90683 is a reply to message #90663] Wed, 28 July 2004 21:49 Go to previous message
elahe
whats the host name for enterprise console
Previous Topic: How to install Oracle Designer 6i on windows XP ?
Next Topic: Designer can't connect to the database/repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:48:09 CDT 2024