Home » Other » Client Tools » Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) (SQL Developer, 18.3.0.277, Windows 10)
Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673504] Wed, 21 November 2018 12:14 Go to next message
Raul_Rodriguez
Hello, I have created a new user while logged in as SYSTEM. This is a new installation and this my first try at creating a user. I followed the instructions from this link: "oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/11g/r2/prod/appdev/sqldev/sqldev_adv/sqldev_adv_otn"
I have assigned the following privileges as suggested on the guide:
CREATE PROCEDURE;CREATE SEQUENCE;CREATE SESSION;CREATE TABLE;CREATE TRIGGER;CREATE TYPE;CREATE VIEW;UNLIMITED TABLESPACE.
The user shows up (after creating it on the "Other Users" Tree), but when I create the new connection using this newly created id, I get the error:
Invalid User Name (ORA-01017); I have reset the password a few times but it doesn't work.
Based on the instructions I don't see what am I doing wrong.

Please help
Note: the forum won't allow me to post a link yet, this is my first posting.
Thanks,

RR

Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673505 is a reply to message #673504] Wed, 21 November 2018 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Welcome to this forum

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:
OraFAQ Forum Guide
How to use {code} tags and make your code easier to read

Unfortunately, I can't say what exactly you did wrong, since you decided to not SHOW us using COPY & PASTE what you actually did do.
I know from MANY, Many, many years of working with Oracle that Oracle is too dumb to lie about ORA-01017 error.

Both UsErNaMe & PaSSwOrD can be CaSe sensitive & must match what has been previous entered & stored within the database.
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673506 is a reply to message #673505] Wed, 21 November 2018 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raul_Rodriguez
Your post takes me to an invalid link... Let see if I can show the link nowhttps://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/11g/r2/prod/appdev/sqldev/sqldev_adv/sqldev_adv_otn.htm
Now, while I am an Intermediate user in the field, I know that in order to make sure my password is correct, I create a simple text file, which I use as a pivot to copy and paste my password in both boxes(Pwd and Confirm). This ensures I know what my password is. Anyhow, I also tried creating a second user name, but the results are the same...
I know is not a user id pwd issue, there has to be something else, as I mentioned the user ID I am using to create this new user is SYSTEM, must of the applications I use require an ADMIN ID, identified as Admin...
Is there anything else that anyone can contribute?

Thanks,

RR
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673508 is a reply to message #673506] Wed, 21 November 2018 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I know is not a user id pwd issue, there has to be something else

How do you know that?

Quote:
I have reset the password a few times but it doesn't work.

SHOW us what you do and get.
First do it using SQL*Plus and when it's correct try to do it with another tool.

Quote:
Your post takes me to an invalid link

The second link is not correct but the first one is and contains the correct link for the second point.
Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673509 is a reply to message #673506] Wed, 21 November 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Consider trying again with username=TEST & password=TEST
my URL used to work, but I have corrected it below.

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:
OraFAQ Forum Guide
How to use {code} tags and make your code easier to read
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673510 is a reply to message #673509] Wed, 21 November 2018 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raul_Rodriguez
In order to save us the time of me retyping and make this post unreadable I have placed the shortcut to the Oracle Guide. In there it has depiction of the steps, which is exactly what I have done. However, in order to make sure you don't think I am not following instructions I will describe what I see on my screen. I have a window named Edit User which is obtained by right clicking on the "test" user name, in the tab System Privileges, I see check marks on the boxes I listed before (create sequence, create session, etc.) these check marks are under the column labeled Granted just like in the depiction presented in the Guide. Funny thing is: the password is test and the user is test, I know this is done to make it as simple as possible and I could not agree more with the approach. I also know how to use the Code tags, however, no code is necessary when using the interface (Checking the boxes)

Is there anything else I may try or that could be creating the issue.
RR
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673515 is a reply to message #673510] Thu, 22 November 2018 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I will describe what I see on my screen.
Actually you describe what you think you did.
Note that for user name "test" <> test = TEST, for password "test" = test <> TEST.

You did not mention your database version.

Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673522 is a reply to message #673509] Thu, 22 November 2018 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raul_Rodriguez
Hi, This may help, it shows the privileges I have set up for the user

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqQovh6lB7bfl2jK2uwG-9fkimpi

The next image shows the existense of the user:

[url]=https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqQovh6lB7bfl2mMHzxEoW52_XJW[/url]

The next depiction shows the Granted Roles:

[ulr]=https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqQovh6lB7bfl2mMHzxEoW52_XJW[/url]

and while I originally used the interface, I have also tried executing the following code:

CREATE USER "test" IDENTIFIED BY "test"  
DEFAULT TABLESPACE "USERS"
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE "TEMP";

-- QUOTAS

-- ROLES

-- SYSTEM PRIVILEGES
GRANT CREATE TRIGGER TO "test" ;
GRANT CREATE VIEW TO "test" ;
GRANT CREATE SESSION TO "test" ;
GRANT CREATE TABLE TO "test" ;
GRANT CREATE TYPE TO "test" ;
GRANT CREATE SEQUENCE TO "test" ;
GRANT UNLIMITED TABLESPACE TO "test" ;
GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO "test" ;

Last thing I used... '#The following line allows the creation of users without the C## prefix in Oracle SQL Developer

alter session set "_ORACLE_SCRIPT"=true;

Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673523 is a reply to message #673522] Thu, 22 November 2018 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raul_Rodriguez
My Apologies the last url is a duplicate of the users list. The Granted Roles are here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqQovh6lB7bfl2qAx3oz9O24lOUk
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673525 is a reply to message #673523] Thu, 22 November 2018 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The point Michel was making before is that you've made the username case sensitive.
In oracle by default all object names (including user names) are translated to upper case and stored in the data dictionary in that form. No matter how you write it in code.
The exception to that rule is if you wrap the object name in double quotes when you create the object.
In that case it is stored in the data dictionary in whatever case it was entered in.
Then to refer to the object you need to write the name in the same case every time and wrap it in double quotes:
Oracle Database 12c Standard Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> create user "test" identified by test;

User created.

SQL> grant connect to test;
grant connect to test
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01917: user or role 'TEST' does not exist

SQL> grant connect to "test";

Grant succeeded.

SQL> connect test/test;
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
SQL> connect "test"/test
Connected.
SQL>

You can tell that's what has happened here since in your screenshot of usernames test is in lower case.
I suggest you drop the user and recreate it so it isn't case sensitive.
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673526 is a reply to message #673525] Thu, 22 November 2018 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
And just never, ever wrap any object/user names in double-quotes.
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673527 is a reply to message #673525] Thu, 22 November 2018 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
cookiemonster wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 06:37

I suggested to use upper case TEST yesterday & was ignored.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/205319/673509/#msg_673509
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673528 is a reply to message #673522] Thu, 22 November 2018 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Apart creating your user with a lower case name, there is another thing you must never do:

Quote:
Last thing I used... '#The following line allows the creation of users without the C## prefix in Oracle SQL Developer

alter session set "_ORACLE_SCRIPT"=true;
This implies that you are working in the root container of a multitenant database. No, no, no! You should be working in a pluggable container, not the root container. The tutorial you are following is not intended to run against a 12.x database, but against an 11.x database. Back in release 11, multitenant did not exist.

Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673529 is a reply to message #673527] Thu, 22 November 2018 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
BlackSwan wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 15:42
cookiemonster wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 06:37

I suggested to use upper case TEST yesterday & was ignored.

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/205319/673509/#msg_673509
That post doesn't mention actually recreating the user at any point.
You short-hand way too much.
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673533 is a reply to message #673525] Thu, 22 November 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raul_Rodriguez
I followed the Oracle provided instructions were they showed everything in lower case, that was my biggest mistake.
I understand and appreciate everyone's input, I have dropped the user and re-created it in all CAPS . By the way @BlackSwan I was not ignoring your suggestion; the explanation provided by @cookiemonster is very clear and I have now successfully created a new connection.

Thank you again

RR
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673542 is a reply to message #673533] Fri, 23 November 2018 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Raul_Rodriguez wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 17:55
I followed the Oracle provided instructions were they showed everything in lower case, that was my biggest mistake.
I understand and appreciate everyone's input, I have dropped the user and re-created it in all CAPS.
Don't use double-quotes (") then you don't have to worry about case with Oracle objects.
Re: Invalid User Name (ORA-01017) [message #673548 is a reply to message #673533] Fri, 23 November 2018 07:05 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Raul_Rodriguez wrote on Thu, 22 November 2018 11:55
I understand and appreciate everyone's input, I have dropped the user and re-created it in all CAPS . By the way @BlackSwan I was not ignoring your suggestion; the explanation provided by @cookiemonster is very clear and I have now successfully created a new connection.

Thank you again

RR
The "Oracle provided instructions" (whatever and wherever they are, since you didn't bother to cite them) may have shown in lower case, but I'm as certain as I can be (without being able to see the un-cited source) that they did not wrap it in double quotes.

SQL> select username from dba_users
  2  where upper(username) like 'FUB%'
  3  order by username
  4  ;

no rows selected

SQL> create user fubar identified by fubar;

User created.

3  order by username
  4  ;

USERNAME
------------------------------
FUBAR

1 row selected.

SQL> create user "fubar" identified by fubar;

User created.

3  order by username
  4  ;

USERNAME
FUBAR
fubar

2 rows selected.

SQL> create user "FUBAR" identified by fubar;
create user "FUBAR" identified by fubar
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01920: user name 'FUBAR' conflicts with another user or role name

3  order by username
  4  ;

USERNAME
FUBAR
fubar

2 rows selected.

SQL> spo off

Previous Topic: If Then Else on a Script to call another Script
Next Topic: SQL Developer Database Diff...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:26:12 CDT 2024