Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Oracle ad-hoc report issues (Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0, Windows 10 Professional)
Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671433] Wed, 29 August 2018 15:23 Go to next message
buggleboy007
I have a query which basically gives me all the details from a table called "Assessment:" What the query does is, whenever there has been an Assessment, it checks to see for that same Assessment, if there has been a Reassessment. If there has been then it retrieves all those results (including for cases where there has not been any Reassessment).

What I actually want is, to retrieve the values where in TP_DUE_DATE for an Assessment and for the Reassessment are different. (Basically the TP_DUE_DATE for Assessment and Reassessment should never change; however it is changing).
Example is Assessment number: 190. If you look at the chain of data, the original assessment for 190, was as follows:

Assessment Number        Reassessment Number     TP_DUE_DATE     Comments

189                         NULL                    20-08-2017    The tax payer filed his assessment and the number was 189
189                          190                    24-08-2017    The tax payer's case was reassessed and it became 190
190                         NULL		    24-08-2017    The same tax payer's reassessment number (which was 190 becomes 						                                                   assessment) 

If you see(in the screenshot attached) the tp_due_date has changed from 20th Aug to 24th August. It should not change. My quest is to find the records that have had their tp_due_dates changed and the query I used was:

SELECT TAX_PERIOD_OBJ(tax_period_no).get_desc() TP,
       assess_no AS "Assessment Number",
       assess_new_assess_no AS "Reassessment Number",
       CONCAT(LPAD(' ', LEVEL*3-3),assess_no) AS "Hierarchy" ,
       LEVEL,
       assess_type_no,
       tax_payer_no,
       tax_type_no,
       tax_account_no,
       tax_period_no, 
       entry_date,
       reception_date,
       tp_due_date,
       tax_to_pay,
       tax_paid,pen_to_pay,
       pen_paid, 
       int_to_pay,
       int_paid,
       balance,
       tp_start_date,
       tp_end_date, 
       int_date,
       pay_pen_date,
       file_pen_date,
       reassess_reason_no,
       update_date,
       update_user,
       tax_credit,
       pen_credit,
       int_credit, 
       tax_paym,
       pen_paym,
       int_paym
FROM   assessment A
--WHERE TRUNC(tp_due_date) <> TRUNC(tp_payment_date)
CONNECT BY PRIOR assess_no = assess_new_assess_no
START WITH assess_new_assess_no IS NULL
ORDER BY assess_no DESC;

I did use an in-line query but it never worked i.e. gave me errors saying "ORA-00904: "A"."TP_DUE_DATE": invalid identifier". Can any one help me?
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 46.00KB, Downloaded 1277 times)
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671434 is a reply to message #671433] Wed, 29 August 2018 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
As usual, these questions tend to get answered much quicker if you supply some test data in the form of create table and insert statements.
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671435 is a reply to message #671434] Wed, 29 August 2018 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
pablolee wrote on Wed, 29 August 2018 16:35
As usual, these questions tend to get answered much quicker if you supply some test data in the form of create table and insert statements.
True. But with what I have mentioned along with screen shot can you or to that matter no one help me?
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671436 is a reply to message #671435] Wed, 29 August 2018 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
So to summarise, if an assessment has >1 date associated with it, then it is a problem, yes? And you want to identify that Assessment.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2018 17:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671437 is a reply to message #671436] Wed, 29 August 2018 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
pablolee wrote on Wed, 29 August 2018 17:41
So to summarise, if an assessment has >1 date associated with it, then it is a problem, yes? And you want to identify that Assessment.
No. Slightly different. If an assessment has a reassessment (so in this case, 189 which is the original assessment number had an reassessment and that number is 190) then the TP_DUE_DATE should not change. In the figure/attachment if you see, the TP_DUE_DATE has changed from "20-08-2017" to "24-08-2017".

So in other words, if the assessment has reassessment and it's TP_DUE_DATES change, then those are the cases that I am interested in. If it has greater than 1 TP_DUE_DATE but the dates are same, then I am not interested in them for my output.

Hope this helps.
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671438 is a reply to message #671437] Wed, 29 August 2018 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Yeah, that was my intended meaning.
Why not just count, for each assessment, the distinct number of dates and filter on any where the count is > 2?
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671439 is a reply to message #671438] Wed, 29 August 2018 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
pablolee wrote on Wed, 29 August 2018 17:50
Yeah, that was my intended meaning.
Why not just count, for each assessment, the distinct number of dates and filter on any where the count is > 2?
How do you do that? Can you explain with Syntax? Also the query that I came up with, won't it help me with my cause? or do I have to write something new?
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671440 is a reply to message #671439] Wed, 29 August 2018 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
No problem, just supply some sample data and I'll write a quick example
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671441 is a reply to message #671440] Wed, 29 August 2018 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
pablolee wrote on Wed, 29 August 2018 17:56
No problem, just supply some sample data and I'll write a quick example
Well, I currently do not have access to that data as I am at home, plus there are so many rows in that table, hence I uploaded a screenshot. Can you not use the screenshot as sample data and then help me out?
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671442 is a reply to message #671441] Wed, 29 August 2018 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
syntax:
count(distinct date_column) over (partition by assessment_id)

Based on the data you 'supplied' that'll count the number of dates for any given assessment_id.

[Edit] As an aside, it is perfectly feasible to write create and insert statements on a notepad doc, no need to have access to your data.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2018 18:03]

Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671443 is a reply to message #671442] Wed, 29 August 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
pablolee wrote on Wed, 29 August 2018 18:02
syntax:
count(distinct date_column) over (partition by assessment_id)

Based on the data you 'supplied' that'll count the number of dates for any given assessment_id.

[Edit] As an aside, it is perfectly feasible to write create and insert statement on a notepad doc.
well, when I said "number of dates", I meant I need the details of the data (the columns that I mentioned in my SELECT clause). That will give me the COUNT. I did not mean COUNT as a function. Sorry for the confusion.
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671444 is a reply to message #671443] Wed, 29 August 2018 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Yes, and selecting al rows where the count is >1 will do that for you.
Have a look http://www.orafaq.com/node/55 for a few examples of analytics

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2018 18:08]

Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671445 is a reply to message #671444] Wed, 29 August 2018 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buggleboy007
pablolee wrote on Wed, 29 August 2018 18:07
Yes, and selecting al rows where the count is >1 will do that for you.
Have a look http://www.orafaq.com/node/55 for a few examples of analytics
Sure. Thanks Pablolee. I will try the method that you suggested and also go through the example now, so that I know what I am doing. I will let you know how it goes.
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671446 is a reply to message #671445] Wed, 29 August 2018 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Good luck.
Re: Oracle ad-hoc report issues [message #671496 is a reply to message #671446] Fri, 31 August 2018 11:58 Go to previous message
buggleboy007
Hi Pablolee,

I attempted my question to the problem through a PL/SQL program. I just could not resolve it via a SQL query. Not sure, if the mission could have been accomplished through a SQL query(may be it is totally possible). Anyways, my solution is posted below:

DECLARE
        /*
          The cursor below gives me a list of Assessments and its Reassessments 
          along the original assessment due date(TP_DUE_DATE)
          It does not give me ONLY Assessments that have had NO reassessments 
        */
    CURSOR cur_assess IS
       SELECT TAX_PERIOD_OBJ(tax_period_no).get_desc() TP,
             assess_no ,
             assess_new_assess_no,
             LEVEL,
             tp_due_date
        FROM assessment 
       WHERE TAX_PERIOD_OBJ(tax_period_no).get_desc() IS NOT NULL
          AND NOT (LEVEL = 1 AND assess_new_assess_no IS NULL)
          AND LEVEL = 1
      --CONNECT BY PRIOR assess_new_assess_no = assess_no
      CONNECT BY NOCYCLE PRIOR assess_new_assess_no = assess_no
      ORDER BY assess_no DESC;

/*The below cursor looks at the Assessments retrieved from the above
        and then fetches it's due date (TP_DUE_DATE) of Reassessment 
        and then validations are carried out in the LOOPS below
      */
      CURSOR cur_assess_reassess (MAIN_ASSESSMENT_ID IN varchar2) IS
        SELECT assess_no           ,
               assess_new_assess_no,
               LEVEL,
               tp_due_date
        FROM assessment 
        WHERE TAX_PERIOD_OBJ(tax_period_no).get_desc() IS NOT NULL
        AND NOT (LEVEL = 1 AND assess_new_assess_no IS NULL)
        CONNECT BY PRIOR assess_new_assess_no = assess_no
        START WITH ASSESS_NO = MAIN_ASSESSMENT_ID;

lv_DtDueDate                 DATE;
lv_NbrDueDateChanged         NUMBER:=0;
lv_NbrDueDateNotChanged      NUMBER:=0;

BEGIN

FOR MAIN_LIST_REC IN cur_assess LOOP
   DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('******************************************************************************************************');
   DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('Tax Period : '||MAIN_LIST_REC.TP||
                        ' Assessment no: '||MAIN_LIST_REC.assess_no||
                        ' - It''s Reassessment no: '||MAIN_LIST_REC.assess_new_assess_no||
                        ' and TP Due Date is: '||TO_CHAR(MAIN_LIST_REC.tp_due_date,'DD-MON-YYYY')
                        );

FOR SUB_LIST_REC IN cur_assess_reassess (MAIN_LIST_REC.assess_no) LOOP
              IF SUB_LIST_REC.LEVEL = 1 THEN 
                lv_DtDueDate := TRUNC(SUB_LIST_REC.tp_due_date);
              ELSE
                IF trunc(lv_DtDueDate) != TRUNC(SUB_LIST_REC.tp_due_date) THEN 
                  DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('Assessment no: '||SUB_LIST_REC.assess_no||' - Reassessment no: '||
                                       NVL(TO_CHAR(SUB_LIST_REC.assess_new_assess_no),'No further Re-assessment(s)')|| ' and TP Due Date is: '||TO_CHAR(SUB_LIST_REC.tp_due_date,'DD-MON-YYYY')
                                       );
                   lv_NbrDueDateChanged:=lv_NbrDueDateChanged+1;
                   DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('******************************************************************************************************');
                    DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('');
                ELSIF trunc(lv_DtDueDate) = TRUNC(SUB_LIST_REC.tp_due_date) THEN 
                       DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('Since the due dates are the same, this record is not counted/displayed.');  
                       lv_NbrDueDateNotChanged:=lv_NbrDueDateNotChanged+1;                 
                END IF;
              END IF;

END LOOP;

END LOOP;
  DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('');
  DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('Total Number of records that have their TP_DUE_DATE changed: '||lv_NbrDueDateChanged);
  DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('Total Number of records where TP_DUE_DATE is not changed: '||lv_NbrDueDateNotChanged);

END;

Previous Topic: Query to group data
Next Topic: Urgent : SQL Queries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:22:03 CDT 2024