Home » Other » Community Hangout » A slippery soapbox
A slippery soapbox [message #602437] Wed, 04 December 2013 06:19 Go to next message
pablolee
cookiemonster wrote on Wed, 04 December 2013 08:56
The documentation has plenty of examples, I don't see any need to repeat them here.

Sorry, on a bit of a soapbox here but...
It astounds me the number of people who expect to be spoonfed on this (and many other) forums. I wonder how many major IT issues (think the current and recent history of RBS) have been caused due to people talking their way into jobs that they are MASSIVELY under-qualified and under-skilled for and then post on forums, get spoonfed code examples and snippets that they fail to fully understand and fail to adapt appropriately for their specific scenario and so fail to fully understand the implications of that code when implemented in a complex system. Then they get paid and when it all falls down around their ears, they either walk off to another contract or blame the contractors that left before them.
Still on my soapbox, so bring it on Smile
Re: Query Help [message #602445 is a reply to message #602437] Wed, 04 December 2013 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
People's inability to do even basic stuff correctly keeps food beer on my table Smile
Re: Query Help [message #602446 is a reply to message #602445] Wed, 04 December 2013 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Roachcoach wrote on Wed, 04 December 2013 12:39
People's inability to do even basic stuff correctly keeps food beer on my table Smile
Wait till someone (significantly) less able than you gets the job you were going for Wink
Re: Query Help [message #602452 is a reply to message #602446] Wed, 04 December 2013 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Quote:

Wait till someone (significantly) less able than you gets the job you were going for Wink

At a cheaper rate Wink

If I may borrow that soapbox, pablolee: IT is one of those aspects of business that management and their bean-counters cannot fully put a cost on until it goes wrong. This is the problem with being a DBA: if we're doing our job correctly, we look like we're not really needed. Consequently, when the purse-strings need tightening (normally due to some unqualified, senior manager's mismanaged vanity project), we tend to be first out of the door and replaced with a combination of a "junior DBA" and some outsourcing contract that looks cheaper in the beginning until you factor in the amount of additional money they'll charge you if you actually expect them to do anything. *deep breath*

Thanks Very Happy
Re: Query Help [message #602459 is a reply to message #602452] Wed, 04 December 2013 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Oooo, I'll see your DBA and raise you a Tester. I agree that dba's are often early out the door (and this is soooo wrong), but my recent experience has shown me that Testing gets drastically cut (not just in bodies, but in processes too) when those purse strings start to tighten (including off-shoring to incompetents). I mean, what good are testers anyway? All they do is find problems and hold up the deployment of systems! Get rid of testers, reduce the amount of testing and we can start to deploy applications quicker and for less money! It's a winner Tom! Smile
Re: A slippery soapbox [message #602463 is a reply to message #602446] Wed, 04 December 2013 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've done the moderator bit: split the topic. Nothing else to do while my backup runs through....

pablolee wrote on Wed, 04 December 2013 12:42
Roachcoach wrote on Wed, 04 December 2013 12:39

I think that Oracle databases are more prone to the issue of incompetent people performing responsible jobs than many other environments, because the database is so rock-solid reliable and can be largely self-administrating. That is why people buy it (and why it is so expensive). I called myself a DBA for years when I was really just a hacker. You can get away with it. Many people claim to have administered a database for years with no problems, when all they have been doing is watching it administer itself.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 December 2013 07:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A slippery soapbox [message #602465 is a reply to message #602463] Wed, 04 December 2013 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Cheers John, I initially thought the posts had been deleted, I didn't notice that they turned up here Smile
Well, the three main environments that I have experience of:
Oracle, Business Objects and some Microdaft stuff (2nd hand experience via wifey) has shown me that there is incompetence at all levels in all environments (just as there are some staggeringly talented people too).
Re: A slippery soapbox [message #602490 is a reply to message #602463] Wed, 04 December 2013 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
John Watson wrote on Thu, 05 December 2013 00:38
Many people claim to have administered a database for years with no problems, when all they have been doing is watching it administer itself.

ROFL /forum/fa/449/0/
Re: A slippery soapbox [message #603110 is a reply to message #602490] Wed, 11 December 2013 08:27 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
And for many people, rebuilding indexes / defragmentation used to be ( and still is ) the top administration task.
Previous Topic: Oracle Database 12c Developer Day - India
Next Topic: for Operating System & hardware geeks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:20:42 CDT 2024