Home » Other » Community Hangout » Point system
Point system [message #598703] Wed, 16 October 2013 17:20 Go to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Hello folks,

Today I was taken aback, rather surprised, when my reporting junior team member said few things while we were at breakout time at cafeteria. He said, how could anybody of us, or so called seniors are better than him when he has more points in OTN forum than anybody of us. I tried to control the situation, however, my technology manager, who has had been working for Oracle technology since 18 years did not take it casually. I don't know how it is going to impact him in future, but, I bet that he felt too bad about it.

It is not the first time that I encountered such situation. I am perplexed as to what to do. I still firmly believe that, how does a point system could ever decide about someone's ability?

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Point system [message #598713 is a reply to message #598703] Wed, 16 October 2013 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
I don't mean to be dismissive, but if you you have a manager who determines your worth based on what they see on the internet (rather than, say, epirical observation of how you do in your work), then you are in the wrong job.

Let me put it another way: do you consider that working for such a person is good for your career?

You could try to counsel them to change their point of view, but what's the point? If someone has grown to adulthood and - worse - progressed to a position of seniority with that type of mindset, then it's probably a waste of time. What other madness might be lurking under the surface?

OTN points and the like are there for one purpose only: establishing reputation and brand; they advertising for the Lalit Kumar B brand. These are things that matter to people who don't know you, not to those who DO know you.

If the advertising is glossier and fancier, then is the product better?
Re: Point system [message #598756 is a reply to message #598713] Thu, 17 October 2013 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
You are correct Ross.

I guess, my manager is now too old for a change, or it is just too difficult for him. And for the junior who finds his points so fascinating, I find him too obsessed about it.

I want to quote what my manager said today, "When I started my career, there were no forums, neither google search. But we worked equally efficiently then. Points can't beat me, but if it has to, I wish I had more".
Re: Point system [message #598758 is a reply to message #598713] Thu, 17 October 2013 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
rleishman wrote on Wed, 16 October 2013 21:58

OTN points and the like are there for one purpose only: establishing reputation and brand; they advertising for the Lalit Kumar B brand. These are things that matter to people who don't know you, not to those who DO know you.

This is a perfect quote.

However, I think what Lalit's post means to me is that you should fear when this junior person gets to be a manager and he determines people's worth by their "points."

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2013 08:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Point system [message #598785 is a reply to message #598703] Thu, 17 October 2013 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Just out of curiosity, what handle does this junior team member use on OTN?
Re: Point system [message #598786 is a reply to message #598785] Thu, 17 October 2013 14:10 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Hello Barbara,

He has a Guru status with around 2700+ points, and he just never missed any possible opportunity to show off about the legend.

Though, I really appreciate that in just a span of 2 years, being a fresher to the industry he achieved the status by spending time without being paid in monetary terms, however, it is not something that proves someone's capability. Let's see, time would decide his fate. He does his office work quite well, so it's a golden time for him.

I find the hot discussion everyday between him and my manager quite amusing.
Previous Topic: When and where is it polite to address someone by last name only?
Next Topic: Oracle Open World Sep-2013 by T.Kyte
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:38:52 CDT 2024