Home » Other » Client Tools » need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. (Oracle,11g,Windows 7)
need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #568944] Wed, 17 October 2012 22:28 Go to next message
zealousguest
Hello,
First of all, let me tell you that I am an absolute beginner and have no clue about Oracle...But I just got my new coursei n uni that has Oracle...so for practicising at home..I decided to download it and practice at home..but I really am confused and spent the last 24 hours trying to figure out hwo to work...as far as reading forums, faqs and documentation is concerned..i have read most of it..but still no idea...
all i need to do right now is...check the queries and access the predefined tables that can be accessed by scott/tiger username/password..(thats what we have been doing in our uni) after installing oracle 11g and developer tools...when in the console I wrote CONNECT scott/tiger it gave me some memory error at first and then network adapter or something like that......can anyone help?
thanks.
Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #568945 is a reply to message #568944] Wed, 17 October 2012 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

what proof do you have that any Oracle DB is actually is installed & available?

Which Edition of Windows 7 is on the PC?

[Updated on: Wed, 17 October 2012 22:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #568954 is a reply to message #568944] Thu, 18 October 2012 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to show what you did and got otherwise we can't help.
So copy and paste your DOS session including the result of "SET".

Regards
Michel
Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569016 is a reply to message #568954] Thu, 18 October 2012 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What is your Windows version? Oracle can't run on any MS Windows Home edition.
Which database, exactly, did you install? How did the installation process end (with an error - if so, which one?, or successfully?). Which "development tools" did you install?

Maybe you should ask your teacher for details and instructions what you use in school so that you could create the same environment at home.
Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569018 is a reply to message #569016] Thu, 18 October 2012 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
Oracle can't run on any MS Windows Home edition.
well, it will run: I run 11.2.0.3 on my 32bit Vista Home Premium no problem. I used to run 10.x on XP home something, too. Not supported, of course.
Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569027 is a reply to message #569018] Thu, 18 October 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zealousguest
First of all, I am amazed at such prompt responses from the users on this forum. Second, forgive my ignorance, I didn't mention everything in my first post.Here is a bit more detail:

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.
    I installed Oracle11g Express edition.
    I didn't install anything else other than this. So, I don't know about database. I just wanted to use the pre-existing tables of employees to view those tables and view different queries to view those existing tables. I thought, I could access those tables by loging in with scott/tiger
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569029 is a reply to message #569027] Thu, 18 October 2012 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    BlackSwan
    open a Command Window & the issue OS command below

sqlplus scott/tiger

COPY the results then PASTE all back here
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569121 is a reply to message #569018] Sat, 20 October 2012 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Littlefoot
    Account Moderator
    John Watson wrote on Thu, 18 October 2012 20:05
    Quote:
    Oracle can't run on any MS Windows Home edition.
    well, it will run: I run 11.2.0.3 on my 32bit Vista Home Premium no problem. I used to run 10.x on XP home something, too. Not supported, of course.

Lucky me, I didn't have to go through such a combination (Windows Home + Oracle). However, I remember Barbara Boehmer shared her experience, here.
    BB
    Like you, I tried to install it on Windows Home, as I had done with earlier versions of Oracle and Windows, enabling most features, but it didn't work. I ended up stopping all the Oracle services, running the uninstall twice, re-starting the computer, checking for leftover pieces in the registry, then upgrading to Windows professional and starting over with the Oracle installation process.
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569122 is a reply to message #569121] Sat, 20 October 2012 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Littlefoot
    Account Moderator
    As of SCOTT schema on 11g XE: I *think* that there's no SCOTT there any more. Sample schema is now HR which, of course, doesn't mean that you can't create it.
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569127 is a reply to message #569122] Sun, 21 October 2012 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Michel Cadot
    Account Moderator
    scott.sql still exists in ?/rdbms/admin.

Regards
    Michel
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569129 is a reply to message #569127] Sun, 21 October 2012 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Littlefoot
    Account Moderator
    I didn't know that, thank you! (I have my own script)

So, it isn't difficult to create all Scott's objects at all, but Scott - as a user - is not precreated in 11g XE.
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569133 is a reply to message #569129] Sun, 21 October 2012 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Michel Cadot
    Account Moderator
    I also have mine as I have no TEMP and USERS tablespaces, I don't want to grant RESOURCE to SCOTT and the script is wrong for my NLS settings:
    INSERT INTO EMP VALUES (7788,'SCOTT','ANALYST',7566,to_date('13-JUL-87')-85,3000,NULL,20);

Regards
    Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 21 October 2012 03:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569134 is a reply to message #569133] Sun, 21 October 2012 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    John Watson
    Every release I remember (I have never installed XE) has come with $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlsampl.sql. The version I have right now (11.2.0.3, Win32) creates SCOTT after dropping him (it drops a couple of other people, too) and will then create his objects in the default permanent tablespace, with a format for the date strings. But it ain't perfect: it grants him CONNECT, RESOURCE, and most bizarrely UNLIMITED TABLESPACE.
    I run that script every day.
    Re: need help to setup oracle for my course practice.. [message #569262 is a reply to message #569134] Tue, 23 October 2012 14:23 Go to previous message
    Barbara Boehmer
    On my system (Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit) on Windows 7 Professional, the script that creates and populates the emp and dept and other tables is <oracle_home>/sqlplus/demo/demobld.sql. It is on this Windows 7 system that I was unable to complete the installation without upgrading to Windows 7 Professional.
    Previous Topic: Alter Session of Connections in JBoss Connection Pool
    Next Topic: Describe command
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:43:55 CDT 2024