Home » Other » Community Hangout » People from down under
Re: People from down under [message #470075 is a reply to message #470027] Sat, 07 August 2010 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Funny story. Back in the '80s I gave a friend an audio cassette so I could - er-hem - keep an off-site backup of a couple of his albums for him. On Side A was Pavlov's Dog - At the Sound of a Bell, and on Side B was David Gilmour's (of Pink Floyd) Self Titled Solo Album. The off-site backup service I provided was in-fact full-service; I would periodically listen to the backup to ensure that sound quality was still acceptable.

Now there's two notable characteristics about Pavlov's Dog's early albums: 1) David Surkamp would sing the vocals in a near-falsetto (high) voice, and 2) Very short albums - about 35 minutes.

I once made a point of telling my friend - whilst at his place - that he did well to find two so well-matched albums to put on the same cassette: BOTH short and falsetto. "Huh, the self-titled Gilmour album is fully 45 minutes, just fits on the tape", "Well you must've drooped a couple of tracks, cos mines just over 30 minutes". To get to the bottom of it, he started playing the album.

Turns out for the past 2 years I'd been listening to David Gilmour recorded at 45rpm
Re: People from down under [message #470127 is a reply to message #470075] Sun, 08 August 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
buahahahahhahhah!
Re: People from down under [message #472542 is a reply to message #470027] Sat, 21 August 2010 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I just saw this on tvguide.com today:

Emmys Best in Class: Hugh Laurie

http://www.tvguide.com/PhotoGallery/Best-Class-Hugh-1021865
Re: People from down under [message #472555 is a reply to message #472542] Sun, 22 August 2010 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
He is probably happier about this
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/12/hugh-laurie-highest-us-tv-drama

Re: People from down under [message #486765 is a reply to message #472555] Mon, 20 December 2010 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
What database do kangaroos use? Quite a stupid question, of course. But it led to another thought: when I was a student, there was a guy who thought he speaks English very well.

There was an exam, he got C. Puzzled and very nervous, he went to a professor and asked what's wrong with his answers. One of the words that were questionable was a kangaroo. In Croatian, kangaroo is "klokan". So he translated "klokan" from Croatian to English and wrote "clockan".

So, what database do clockans use in Australia? /forum/fa/917/0/
Re: People from down under [message #487120 is a reply to message #486765] Wed, 22 December 2010 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Did Oprah's trip to Australia get much international coverage in the USA and elsewhere? It's been a somewhat divisive issue here - the fact that we (Australian taxpayers) spent money sucking up and pandering. From all reports, it was only a few million bucks - an amount that a premium brand would HAPPILY pay an A-list celeb to endorse their product. We not only got hours of glowing endorsement, but it was then delivered to tens of millions of potential customers at no additional cost. Given that a 30sec slot during Superbowl costs 3M to reach 90M Americans, I reckon we got a pretty good deal.

Re: People from down under [message #487121 is a reply to message #487120] Wed, 22 December 2010 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I didn't now that Oprah went to Australia. I didn't see anything about it on any of the internet sites that I routinely browse, such as the online version of the local newspaper (Press-Enterprise).

I wouldn't know if there has been television coverage, since I have been without television lately. I ordered a little portable digital 7" television that is very versatile and I am hoping that it gets delivered tomorrow. It has a rechargeable built-in battery, ac wall adapter, car adapter, input for dvr, built-in antenna, built-in folding stand, and a place to plug in earphones. I figure I should be able to find a way to watch television again whether the power is out at the time or whatever.

As much as I hate it when it is hot, I am sure getting sick of the rain. I made a brief trip out to a pet food store and grocery store yesterday and had a hard time finding roads that were not flooded to get there and back. There were a lot of road closure barricades and a few places that just said flooded but weren't closed. In most of those places where it just said flooded, there were a few cars stopped. Everybody would wait for somebody else to try and see if they made it. I drove through two of them. The trick is to get enough speed to get through without getting stuck, but to go slow enough that water doesn't get into your engine and stall it. After reading all of the reports in the online newspaper today of people that got stuck trying to do what I did in the same spots, I now realize that I probably should not have done that. I don't even have a big vehicle, just a little car. Since it kept raining today, it got worse, so I spent the whole day at home. I could use some of your Australian summer and some barbecued shrimp about now.

Re: People from down under [message #487122 is a reply to message #487121] Wed, 22 December 2010 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
We've got a bit of unseasonal rain too http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/23/3099904.htm?site=news

Not so bad here in Melbourne, but still a bit damp.
Re: People from down under [message #487323 is a reply to message #487122] Fri, 24 December 2010 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Queanbeyan which is next to me was flooded when the local reserviour filled for the first time in 12 years. Downer that there was a flood but exstatic that the thing is full.
Re: People from down under [message #488881 is a reply to message #487121] Tue, 11 January 2011 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Barbara Boehmer wrote on Thu, 23 December 2010 13:40
I didn't now that Oprah went to Australia.

Apparently the TV episodes are going to air next week in USA. I thought they would have played them immediately.
Re: People from down under [message #493765 is a reply to message #468402] Wed, 09 February 2011 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 30 July 2010 15:40
The Aussies themselves have too many great white sharks around their beaches, so ... tempting, but no.

Ha! I knew I would be vindicated!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/09/3134652.htm

USA - Total coastline 20,000km - 36 shark attacks
AUS - Total coastline 60,000km - 14 shark attacks

Statistically speaking, Australia is an AWESOME place to go to avoid shark attack. Not as good as Croatia, I grant you, but still...
Re: People from down under [message #493771 is a reply to message #493765] Wed, 09 February 2011 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_total_length_of_US_coastline
Total "General U.S. Coastline" is: 12,383 miles This INCLUDES Alaska and Hawaii
More than half (6640) is just Alaska; which I doubt has any shark problem.

Re: People from down under [message #493772 is a reply to message #493771] Wed, 09 February 2011 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I much prefer a nice clean swimming pool, where I can see that there aren't any sharks, jellyfish, stingrays, or whatever in it. No rip tides either.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 February 2011 17:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: People from down under [message #493808 is a reply to message #493772] Thu, 10 February 2011 01:25 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Croatia - Total coastline 5835 km (which includes islands) - 5 dead people (confirmed shark attacks) since 1934.

Statistically speaking, Australia is not as good as Croatia Smile

Articles I found say that most attacks happened before 1970 because tuna fish spent time near the beaches, so sharks came to feed. Since 1970s, tourism became popular and many people actually came to the seaside, swam in the sea and found themselves eyes to eyes with sharks. However: tourists scared away fish (which prefer quiet environment), so - as fish went away, sharks went away too.

The last shark attack was a couple of years ago, close to island of Vis (we spent summer holidays there in 2005, no sharks) - it was a scuba diver who caught a fish, there was blood in the sea that attracted shark's attention. He survived.
Previous Topic: algorithmic question
Next Topic: Book Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:12:26 CDT 2024