Home » Other » Community Hangout » Is Oracle masculine or feminine?
Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #353880] Wed, 15 October 2008 07:53 Go to next message
rajavu1

Just have a look at an Interesting thought .
"Is Oracle masculine or feminine?"

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_masculine_feminine.htm

What do you say ?

Is Oracle masculine or feminine?

Thumbs Up
Rajuvan.
[EDITED by DJM: fixed hyperlink]

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2008 17:48] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #354222 is a reply to message #353880] Fri, 17 October 2008 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
rajavu1 wrote on Wed, 15 October 2008 14:53
Just have a look at an Interesting thought .
"Is Oracle masculine or feminine?"

What do you say ?

I say it's a good thing DB is busy thinking this over.
Keeps him from making ridiculous statements about things that DO matter..
Re: Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #354224 is a reply to message #354222] Fri, 17 October 2008 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Frank wrote on Fri, 17 October 2008 08:39
I say it's a good thing DB is busy thinking this over.
Keeps him from making ridiculous statements about things that DO matter..

/forum/fa/4568/0/ /forum/fa/2115/0/

Regards
Michel

Re: Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #356726 is a reply to message #354224] Sat, 01 November 2008 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Well, you should definitely treat your databases like proper ladies. Just in case... But be careful, they shouldn't find out about the backups! Smile
Re: Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #356729 is a reply to message #353880] Sat, 01 November 2008 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
If you want to look at things technically, in English there is no masculine or feminine. In other languages, such as Spanish and French, any dictionary that I have seen refers to the common word oracle as a masculine noun, so I suppose the company name that uses the same word should also be considered masculine.

Re: Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #423662 is a reply to message #353880] Sat, 26 September 2009 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I am late in seeing this post, but could not help myself.

OK so I look at it different. Unknown to today's generation, in the good old days, they used to name tornadoes after women. Do you know why? Because like women they are so unpredictable (hey don't be mad ad me, I don't make this stuff up).

By this standard, Oracle was in the early days some 25 years ago, definitely a woman; not easily understood, and always needing you to know what she wants without her actually telling you.

But then came political correctness. How simple I was as a child not to understand what it really meant when they first named a storm BOB. Some might call it a maturing of our society... who knows. I suppose in that light Oracle has matured too. But I will always call Oracle He when he is a good boy like a faithful dog, and She when she acts up, refusing to yield the expected result even when you have followed all the rules.

Indeed how can any seasoned oracle professional deny the logic of it. I remember one dissappointing night in my youth after an un-deserving rejection, I had time on my hands and so I tried to get a leg up on fixing some problems at work, only to be reminded of my earlier failure:

Quote:
ORA-00125 connection refused; invalid presentation

Tell me she's not a woman.

Kevin
Re: Is Oracle masculine or feminine? [message #423672 is a reply to message #423662] Sat, 26 September 2009 05:31 Go to previous message
rleishman
Late, but worthwhile. ROTFLMAO
Previous Topic: smileys
Next Topic: Does oracle have any Recognition program for the community contributors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:44:13 CDT 2024