Home » Developer & Programmer » Designer » I need a bit of Help on this ERD project
I need a bit of Help on this ERD project [message #352829] Thu, 09 October 2008 16:48 Go to next message
Story Lopez
Hello guys i signed up here to get help from the masters of data modeling. I have a project due and i just want to go over my ERD and make sure its in perfect shape(pretty big grade).

Here is the Business Scenario.

Quote:
Case Study: Walt Disney World

The brainchild of Walter Elias Disney, a resort that bears his name is his legacy to the world. Along with a cast of memorable cartoon characters led by a mouse named Mickey, Disney opened the doors of the Magic Kingdom to the public in an effort to provide a place where childhood dreams reign supreme. Before his death, he had already planned the future expansion of the Disney realm with his design for Epcot. Today, his Florida namesake, with its four parks, is one of the most visited tourist sites in the world.

Each park is divided into areas, each with its own theme. In the Magic Kingdom, all the attractions and shops in Frontierland have a western theme while the o
nes in Tomorrowland have a futuristic/space theme. In Epcot Center, the attractions in each of the World Showcase countries all share the atmosphere, architecture, music and food of the specific country and the attractions in Future World have themes like: energy, transportation, and the horticulture. In the Disney MGM-Studios, there are several areas (like New York Street and Hollywood Boulevard), each with stores and attractions that fit in with the atmosphere and theatrical significance of the area. Finally, in the newest park, Animal Kingdom, guests are able to experience attractions like Dinosaur in the Dinoland USA area and the Tree of Life in the Safari Village.

Each park has a unique landmark which identifies it: Cinderella’s Castle in the Magic Kingdom, Spaceship Earth in Epcot, The Earful Tower in the Disney MGM Studios and the Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom. Attractions are subdivided into shops, show, and rides. All are identified by name and we keep track of the maximum capacity for each and the minimum number of employees needed for operation. For rides, we keep track of minimum height required, operational status, date and time of last maintenance, transport mode (carts, conveyor belts, magnetic track, motorized track, etc.) wait time and duration of ride. For shops we need to know the type of store (restaurant, fast food, clothing, jewelry, hats, etc.). For shows we need to know the number of shows per day and the duration of each show. We also need to know if the show is subject to weather conditions.

In order to enter any of our parks, tickets must be purchased. Every person over the age of three that enters any of our parks must have a ticket. Tickets are either one park/one day or multiple day tickets. Every ticket is assigned a specific ticket number. We don’t keep track of any information about our customers and tickets are not specifically assigned to a person… they are either child tickets or adult tickets. For our purposes, a child is anyone under the age of 12. Tickets don’t expire but we do need to keep track of the current date of use and the number of days remaining on the ticket as well as whether the status of the ticket is valid or used. For one day/one park tickets we need to also track which park the ticket was used at so that it will only be valid at that park for the remainder of the day.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my ERD based on the scenario above
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/sceptilerancher/DisneyLandERD.jpg

I was not sure how i should do the unique identifiers for the PARK and AREA super/subtype, should i include the names of each different theme and landmark or should i just put #landmark,#theme?

I know this is asking a lot but i would really appreciate it.
Re: I need a bit of Help on this ERD project [message #409359 is a reply to message #352829] Mon, 22 June 2009 05:22 Go to previous message
ashoka_bl

HI,

I am very new to Database design, and thought about your Requirement as a case study, The link that you mentioned is currently broken, can you please let me know where do i get the ER Diagram

Regards,
Ashoka BL
devanampriya@gmail.com
Previous Topic: how to make item synchronize with another item
Next Topic: Simple Database Design - Any Suggestions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:49:40 CDT 2024