Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Switch over (11g)
Switch over [message #383690] Thu, 29 January 2009 13:53 Go to next message
jacqford3
Hi all,

I tried executing a switchover from PRIMARY to STANDBY, which worked. After accomplishing this, I tried to open my database on the new PRIMARY by typing "ALTER DATABASE OPEN". The message was that it could not open because it's in read mode only. I wanted to create two members for my redo log groups, but I cannot open the database. Is it possible to open the database when doing a switchover?

Thanks,
Jackie
Re: Switch over [message #383691 is a reply to message #383690] Thu, 29 January 2009 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
So we can help you

In order to provide advice, you need to use CUT & PASTE
so we can see EXACTLY what you did & how Oracle responded.

Prior to starting all of this the STANDBY instance was in the mode where it was "injesting" redo logs. Right?

Did you issue the command to instruct it to stop applying redos
& revert to a vanilla NOMOUNT state?
Re: Switch over [message #383692 is a reply to message #383691] Thu, 29 January 2009 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jacqford3
Right... the STANDBY database was bringing over the redo logs and applying them.

To answer your 2nd question, no... I didn't issue the command to stop applying redos and revert to a NOMOUNT state.

Thanks,
Jackie
Re: Switch over [message #383693 is a reply to message #383690] Thu, 29 January 2009 14:25 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>I didn't issue the command to stop applying redos and revert to a NOMOUNT state.
Then most likely this is why you are getting an error.

When all else fails try RTFM found at http://tahiti.oracle.com
to learn how to properly manage Data Guard.
Previous Topic: performing switch over
Next Topic: Failed to query v$archived_log to find archive gap exists on standby db (ORA-00235)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:20:58 CDT 2024